Chile Best South America Countries to Visit
Chile is a country situated in South America along its western coast. It is known for its rugged terrain of mountains and deserts, volcanoes and glaciers, beaches and islands. It features Head of the Drake Passage and highest elevation in the Americas—the Volcán Ojos del Salado.
Home to the largest glacier in the Southern Hemisphere, Patagonia ice fields, Chile is a privileged geographic location that serves as an ideal base for a host of exploration and adventure activities. From the frigid Antarctica in the south to Arica in the north, the diverse wildlife provides an abundance of unique wildlife encounters.
Chile Best South America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Chile
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Santiago
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Chilean Peso
- Nationality: Chilean
The best cities that you must visit in Chile are Cartagena, Bogota, Cali, Medellin, Armenia, Santa Marta, Popayan, Barranquilla, San Andres and Pereira.
The best destinations you must visit in Chile are Cartagena de Indias, San Andres Island, Lost City (Ciudad Perdida), Bogota, Tayrona National Park, Salento, Coffee Region, Tayrona National Natural Park, Medellin and Providencia Island.
The best attractions in Chile you must visit are:
- Torres del Paine National Park
- Atacama Desert
- Easter Island
- Lauca National Park
- Cerro San Cristobal
- Chiloe National Park
- Valle del Elqui
A brief description of Chile
Chile is a South American country located on the west coast of the continent, bordered by the Pacific Ocean to the west, Peru to the north, Bolivia to the northeast, Argentina to the east, and the Drake Passage to the south.
Chile is one of the longest and narrowest countries in the world, with a picturesque landscape of mountains, volcanoes, beaches and rivers. It is home to a variety of ecosystems, including the Atacama Desert, the Andes Mountains, the Patagonian grasslands and some of the world’s most diverse and unique wildlife. Additionally, this is a home to vibrant cities, an array of cultures, and a well-developed economy which is primarily based on copper mining and exports.
What are the Things to do in Chile?
There are many things to do in Chile as listed below:
- Visit Easter Island – Easter Island is an iconic destination known for its large, mysterious moai statues that many consider some of the greatest mysteries of humankind.
- Explore Valparaiso’s streets – Valparaiso is Chile’s vibrant Multi-colored port city, with a unique character, sidewalk cafes, and rich political history.
- Hike in Patagonia – Chile’s Patagonia region is full of stunning vistas, epic waterfalls, and vast glaciers, making it a perfect destination for hikers and adventure seekers.
- Visit Salar de Atacama – Salar de Atacama is an enormous salt flat located deep in Chile’s driest desert and is home to a variety of wildlife and incredible landscapes.
- Ski in Portillo – For those looking for the perfect winter getaway, Portillo is the place to be, with some of the best ski slopes in South America.
- Tour the vineyards of Colchagua Valley – The famous Colchagua Valley wine region is home to some of Chile’s best wineries and a fascinating culture surrounding its winemaking past.
- Relax at the Isla de Huafu – Isla de Huafu is a tranquil oasis in the middle of Valparaiso’s bustling city center and is the perfect spot to sunbathe or take a dip.
- Climb the giant sand dunes of San Pedro de Atacama – The San Pedro de Atacama desert is home to some of the largest sand dunes in the world and is perfect for those looking for a unique adventure.
- Learn to surf in Iquique – Iquique is home to some of the best waves in South America and is the perfect spot to learn to shred the waves.
- Marvel at the soaring towers of El Tatio Geyser – El Tatio Geyser is one of the highest geysers in the world and is home to more than 80 spectacular towers of steam and spray.
What are the Best Foods at Chile?
Some of the best foods to try in Chile include seafood dishes, Chilean salad with tomatoes, onions, and cilantro, pastel de choclo, empanadas, humitas, carbonada criolla, curry, and pastel de papas. For dessert, try the classic alfajor cookies, manjar, and mote con huesillo.
Some of the best foods to eat in Chile include:
- Empanadas: Hand-held turnovers stuffed with meat, vegetables, and sometimes cheese, empanadas are popular here.
- Curanto: Originating in Chiloé Island, curanto is a flavorful stew of shellfish, potatoes, and vegetables.
- Asado: A grill-roasted whole sheep, asado is a specialty throughout the country, typically served with potatoes, tamales, and freshly-baked bread.
- Barros Luco: This typical Chilean sandwich is made with steak, tomatoes, and cheese, and served on freshly baked bread with mayonnaise.
- Pastel de Choclo: This traditional dish is similar to a shepherd’s pie, served with a topping of mashed or pureed corn.
- Humitas: Similar to a tamale, humitas are steamed pastries made with corn.
- Porotos Granados: A popular vegetarian dish, porotos granados is a stew of beans, squash, and corn.
- Sopaipillas: A fried, chewy bread made of wheat flour, sopaipillas are typically served with pebre, a condiment made from coriander, onions, tomatoes, and chili.
- Chorrillana: A filling dish of fried potatoes, onion, beef, sausage, and eggs, chorrillana is perfect for a filling meal.
- Alfajores: A popular dessert throughout Latin America, alfajores are shortbread-style cookies coated in a layer of dulce de leche and topped with powdered sugar.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Chile?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Chile. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- The Singular Santiago (Santiago)
- Patagonia Camp (Torres del Paine National Park)
- Hotel Las Araucarias (Valdivia)
- Explora Patagonia (Torres del Paine National Park)
- Awasi Patagonia (Torres del Paine National Park)
- Emporio Puerto Varas (Puerto Varas)
- Cornell Hotel Boutique & Spa (Santiago)
- Hotel Huinid Bustillo (Bariloche)
- Santiso Hotel and Spa (Valparaiso)
- Hotel Costaustralis (Punta Arenas)
Best Attractions in Chile
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Chile.
No posts found!