Cusco Peru Ancient Incan Capital
Cusco, the ancient Incan capital of Peru, is a unique destination known for its colonial-era Spanish architecture, indigenous culture, and archaeological ruins. Home to the famous Machu Picchu, it’s a must-see for any traveler looking to explore South America. Historical sites and natural wonders abound, making Cusco a stunning destination filled with adventure and culture!
Cusco Peru Ancient Incan Capital Summary
- Attraction: Cusco
- Country: Peru
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Lima
- Language: Spanish (official), English
- Currency: The Sol
- Nationality: Peruvian
Cusco, Peru is an incredibly unique and enchanting city that is steeped in history, culture and nature. It boasts some of the most diverse and breathtaking landscapes. It is the gateway to the ancient city of Machu Picchu, a 15th-century Inca citadel set high in the Andes Mountains. Visitors can explore the nearby Sacred Valley, take part in local festivities, visit impressive archaeological sites, and enjoy a variety of outdoor activities. Cusco is also known for its culinary and artistic delights, beautiful churches and vibrant night life. So, all these reasons make it a must-visit destination with something to suit everyone’s taste.
Tell Us About Cusco Peru
Cusco, Peru is an ancient Incan city located in the Andes Mountains. It was the capital of the Inca Empire and is now one of the most popular tourist destinations in South America. This city is full of colonial architecture and archaeological sites, including world-famous Machu Picchu and Sacsayhuaman.
Cusco is also known for its well-preserved Incan streets and its activities such as hiking, rafting, and exploring nearby Sacred Valley. There’s no shortage of incredible restaurants, cafes, and bars that line the city streets, from traditional Peruvian cuisine to international fusion dishes. Cusco is one of the best places to explore and experience the real beauty and culture of Peru.
What are the Things to do in Cusco Peru?
Cusco is an amazing city in Peru known for its abundance of historical sites, amazing landscapes, and exciting activities. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in South America and draws thousands of visitors each year.
- Explore the Historical Sites. Cusco is full of incredible historical sites, from the ancient Inca city of Machu Picchu to the nearby village of Ollantaytambo. Other noteworthy attractions include the Coricancha archaeological site and the Plaza de Armas, a grand plaza located in the center of the city.
- Visit the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The Sacred Valley of the Incas is a region located just outside of Cusco and it’s full of amazing attractions, including the ruins of Pisac, the Roman-built Sacred Valley towns of Moray, Maras, and Yucay, and the colonial towns of Urubamba and Chinchero.
- Take a Hike. For outdoor-lovers, Cusco is the perfect destination. Whether you’re looking for a guided trek to Machu Picchu or simply hiking on the Inca Trail, you’re sure to find something to suit your tastes.
- Go Shopping. Cusco is one of the best cities in Peru when it comes to shopping. A variety of traditional markets abound, and visitors will find everything from clothing and jewelry to crafts and souvenirs.
- Enjoy Peruvian Cuisine. Cusco has an incredible variety of cuisines, ranging from traditional Peruvian dishes to international favorites. For the daring, Peruvian food such as Pachamanca, chicharrón, and Papa a la Huancaina are must-try dishes.
- Learn About History and Culture. There are plenty of museums in and around Cusco, giving visitors the chance to learn more about local history and culture. Exhibits include traditional Andean culture, Spanish colonial traditions, and more.
- Relax at a Spa. After a long day of sightseeing and exploring, pamper yourself with a visit to one of the city’s many spas. A variety of treatments are available, offering the perfect way to unwind and rejuvenate.
Cusco is absolutely full of activities and attractions, so make sure to get out and explore them all. With a little bit of planning, you can make sure you don’t miss out on a single one!
What are the Best Foods at Cusco Peru?
Some of the best foods at Cusco Peru are:
- Aji de Gallina – This spicy, creamy chicken dish is made using aji pepper, an indigenous Peruvian chili pepper, broth, and cheese.
- Pollo al Palo – This is a traditional Peruvian dish of barbecued chicken over an open flame.
- Lomo Saltado – This stir-fry is made with steak, tomatoes, onions, soy sauce and french fries.
- Ceviche – This traditional seafood dish is served cold and made with lime juice, onions and peppers.
- Alpaca Steak – This traditional dish features grilled alpaca steak served with potatoes and aji chili sauce.
- Chicha Morada – This traditional drink is made with a purple corn extract and spices such as cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Quinotto – This dish is made with quinoa, cheese and some vegetables such as red onion and olives.
- Papa Rellena – This is a deep-fried potato stuffed with ground beef, hard-boiled eggs, green olives and raisins.
- Rocoto Relleno – This is a spicy stuffed pepper dish made with aji pepper and cheese.
- Papa a la Huancaina – This is a traditional Peruvian potato dish served cold with a creamy cheese sauce.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Cusco Peru?
The best hotels to stay in Cusco Peru are:
- Belmond Hotel Monasterio: Located in the historic Jesuit Monastery which dates back to 1592, the Belmond Hotel Monasterio is one of the best hotels in Cusco. This 5-star hotel is set in an upscale area of the city and provides luxury accommodation with stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Palacio Del Inka: If you’re looking for opulence, you’ll find it at the Palacio Del Inka. The five-star hotel is set in an 18th-century colonial mansion, and provides an unforgettable stay with luxury suites, a world-class spa, and traditional Peruvian cuisine.
- The Antiqo Hotel Boutique: For a unique and comfortable stay in Cusco, The Antiqo Hotel Boutique is an excellent choice. Offering stylish boutique accommodation with colonial and modern décor, here you can relax in the courtyard filled with native plants and flowers that locals used in ancient times.
- Sol y Luna Luxury Hotel and Spa: Surrounded by a 10-acre Miracle Garden and located in the countryside near the sacred valley of the Incas, this 5-star hotel offers luxury accommodation and personalized service. Relax in one of its many pools or learn a new health therapy at the luxury spa.
- Casa Andina Select Cusco: The five-star Casa Andina Select Cusco Hotel is a great option if you’re looking for a modern hotel with Andean-style architecture. This hotel in the center of Cusco boasts stunning views of the surroundings and spacious, comfortable rooms.
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
The Nazca Lines is one of the most interesting places to visit in Peru. Scroll down and click the button for more information.