Ecuador Best South America Countries to Visit
Ecuador is a constitutionally multilingual country located in South America, bordered by Colombia to the northeast and Peru to the southeast. Its varied terrain, containing Amazon rainforest and the Galápagos Islands, both of which are protected by UNESCO, offer visitors a wide range of activities, from climbing volcanoes to rafting its lush rivers. Its rich cultural and ethnic diversity create a vibrant and welcoming atmosphere, making Ecuador a perfect place to explore.
Ecuador Best South America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Ecuador
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Quito
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: the US Dollar
- Nationality: Ecuadorian
The best destinations you must visit in Ecuador are Galapagos Islands, Quito, Cotopaxi National Park, Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve, Mindo Cloud Forest, Cuenca, Banos, Machalilla National Park, Loja and Puerto Lopez and Los Frailes Beach.
The best attractions in Ecuador you must visit are:
- Galápagos Islands
- Amazon Basin Rainforest
- Cotopaxi National Park
- El Quinche Volcano
- Otavalo Market
- La Compania Church
- Mindo Cloud Forest
- Devil’s Nose Train
- Ingapirca Ruins
A brief description of Ecuador
Ecuador is a small country in northwestern South America. It is bordered by Colombia to the north, Peru to the east and south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. The capital of Ecuador is Quito, which is located in the Andes Mountains. Along with its stunning landscape, this country has a rich culture, with mestizo and indigenous populations that make up the majority of the country. Also known for its biodiversity, hosting some of the most pristine rainforests in the world as well as a variety of endemic wildlife. The country is also known for its oil, agriculture, and its history of vibrant art, music and literature.
What are the Things to do in Ecuador?
There are many things to do in Ecuador as listed below:
- Explore Quito’s Old Town: Stroll through the cobbled streets of Quito’s Old Town, the best-preserved colonial center in Latin America.
- Take a Trip to the Galápagos Islands: With hundreds of endemic species to explore, including giant tortoises, iguanas, and marine life, the Galápagos Islands are a must-see for any traveler.
- Climb Cotopaxi Volcano: Climb the second highest volcano in the world and take in the amazing views of Cotopaxi National Park.
- Hike the Avenue of the Volcanoes: This stunning hike takes you past some of Ecuador’s tallest volcanoes and is a great way to absorb the breathtaking scenery.
- Tour the Markets in Otavalo: Take an exciting tour of the most famous markets, Otavalo. Browse the vibrant stalls and pick up some handmade souvenirs.
- Hit the Beach in Montañita: Spend the day soaking up the sun on Montañita’s golden beaches, then head out for a night of partying in Ecuador’s surf city.
- Spot Wildlife in Mindo Cloudforest: Spot toucans, crazy leaf insect and over 450 bird species as you walk through the unique cloud forest of Mindo.
- Explore Cuenca’s Colonial Architecture: Take a leisurely stroll along Cuenca’s cobblestone streets and admire the city’s colonial architecture.
- Kayak the Babahoyo River: Take a thrilling journey along Ecuador’s largest river by kayak and experience the area’s diverse wildlife up close.
- Whitewater Rafting in the Amazon: Experience the thrills of white water rafting through Ecuador’s lush Amazon rainforest.
What are the Best Foods at Ecuador?
Some of the best foods to eat in Ecuador include:
- Ceviche: Ceviche is Ecuador’s national dish. It is a mix of raw seafood, fresh vegetables, lime juice, and chili peppers.
- Sanguinarios: A popular sweet snack, this is a mix of sugar, butter, and cornmeal rolled up and served with fresh fruit.
- Churrasco: Grilled steak flavored with a secret mixture of herbs, garlic, and spices.
- Humitas: A traditional Ecuadorian specialty made of boiled mashed corn with onions, garlic, and spices.
- Sancocho: A hearty stew made with root vegetables and seasoned with cumin, chili peppers, and garlic.
- Patacones: Fried plantains served as a delicious snack or side dish.
- Fanesca: A hearty soup made with a variety of beans, grains, and eggs, usually during Easter or Lent.
- Llapingachos: Potato cakes stuffed with cheese, eggs, pepper, and onions, then fried.
- Seco de Pollo: Chicken stew served with rice, potatoes, and a side of lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
- Dolce de Leche: Sweet caramel made from condensed milk and sugar, great for topping ice cream or cake.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Ecuador?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Ecuador. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- Andalucía Boutique Hotel, Quito: This luxurious hotel is situated atop El Panecillo Hill and boasts spectacular views of the city. It offers guests a range of luxury amenities, including a terrace with an outdoor pool and hot tub, a spa, and an excellent on-site restaurant.
- Mashpi Lodge, Mashpi: Situated within the world-renowned Mashpi Rainforest Reserve, this luxury eco-lodge is the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. It offers guests adventure activities like waterfall rappelling, forest tours, and canopy skybridges, as well as an on-site observatory and top-class gastronomy.
- Casa Gangotena, Quito: Located in the heart of Quito’s historical district, this luxurious boutique hotel offers its guests the best of the city. It features charming domed ceilings, a library and games room, as well as an on-site restaurant and a terrace with stunning views of the city.
- Hacienda Zuleta, Otavalo: This stunning colonial estate is nestled in the heart of the Andes. It offers guests the perfect stay, with its traditional cuisine and wooden log cabins furnished with antiques. The hacienda offers activities like horseback riding and bird watching, as well as a visit to its on-site cheese-making farm.
Best Attractions in Ecuador
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Ecuador.
No posts found!