Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland
- Attraction: Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon
- Country: Iceland
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Reykjavík
- Language: Icelandic
- Currency: Icelandic Króna
- Nationality: Icelandic
Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland is one of the most stunning and awe-inspiring parts of Iceland. This lagoon is located in south-east Iceland, close to the town of Hofn and the highly popular glacier lagoon of Fjallsárlón. The crystal clear blue water and beautiful white chunks of broken off icebergs make Jökulsárlón a mesmerizing experience. Founded in 1934, the lagoon was a result of the melting Breiðamerkurjökull Glacier as global warming slowly began affecting the country.
Visitors can explore the stunning glacial area via boat rides and view the wonderful distant views of the surrounding mountains. With frequent sightings of seals, puffins and a variety of waterfowl in the area, Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon is one of the best sites to visit in Iceland to experience mother nature at its finest.
Tell Us About Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland
Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon is a large glacial lake in southeast Iceland located on the edge of Vatnajökull National Park. The lake is composed of melted glacier ice and the lagoon is one of the deepest in Iceland, with a maximum depth of 248 metres (814 ft). It is part of a huge interconnected glacial system which is up to 3 kilometers (1.86 mi) wide.
The glacial source for the lagoon is Breiðamerkurjökull glacier, which is part of the larger Vatnajökull glacier, the largest glacier in Europe by volume. The Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon is located on the edge of the Breiðamerkurjökull peninsula and runs along the nearby Ring Road. In recent years, as global warming has accelerated, the size of the lagoon has increased drastically, and it is now the deepest lake in Iceland.
Jökulsárlón is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Iceland, due to its stunning blue waters and picturesque icebergs. Icebergs from the lagoon drift out to sea, where they are frequently stranded on the nearby black diamond beach. In addition to the dramatic scenery, visitors can spot seals and sea birds, such as rare Arctic terns, in the area. Iceberg boat tours are also available, giving visitors an up-close look of the glacier ice and the lake.
What are the Things to do in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland?
Things to do in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland are:
- Take a Zodiac Boat Tour of the Glacier Lagoon: Enjoy a close-up view of the glacier and its nearby icebergs while listening to the experienced guide informing you about the glaciers’ history.
- Take a Look at the Icebergs (and maybe even a whale!): Experience an even closer view of the incredible icebergs that drift in the lagoon and keep your eyes peeled for whales, seals, and other marine life!
- Explore Diamond Beach: An incredible black sand beach awaits on the other side of the glacier’s many canals and chunks of ice where you can admire the incredible diamond-like ice pieces that have washed ashore.
- Adventure to a Nearby Glacier: Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon borders the impressive Breiðamerkurjökull glacier, one of the largest glaciers in South Iceland, where you can even hike for a true adventure experience.
- Look for Penguins, Bergy Bits and Shimmering Ice: Take a walk to look for the charming minke whales that occasionally make an appearance in the lagoon, and hunt for picturesque pieces of icebergs, known as bergy bits!
- Take a Guided Kayak Tour of the Lagoon: Paddle along the huge icebergs in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon and catch a glimpse of Icelands’ stunning landscape in a unique and unforgettable way.
- Marvel at the Colorful Sunsets: Natural phenomena or no, the breath-takingly beautiful skies of the glacier lagoon will make your stay here that much more special and memorable.
What are the Best Foods at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland?
Some of the best foods at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland include:
- Icelandic Fish Soup: This hearty seafood soup is a classic dish in Iceland, made with haddock, cod, and other local seafood.
- Sviðasulta: This traditional Icelandic meat dish is made from sheep’s head and contains pieces of liver and tongue.
- Cod and Haddock Fries: No trip to Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon would be complete without trying the delicious cod or haddock fries.
- Arctic Char: A local delicacy, Arctic Char is a freshwater fish that can be found in Lagoons and lakes around Iceland.
- Skyr: Skyr is a local yogurt-like dairy product, made from a combination of skimmed and full-fat milk.
- Whale-Watching Pizza: The unique Whale-Watching Pizza served at the Jökulsárlón Visitor Centre is a must-try.
- Local Beer: There are many great local beers served up in Iceland – especially at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. Try some at the restaurant or take a beer-tasting tour.
- Lamb Shank: Icelandic lamb shank is a staple of the Icelandic cuisine, brought over from mainland Europe centuries ago.
- Kung Pao Penguin: Believe it or not, you can get the delicious Kung Pao Penguin at the café at Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon – a specialty dish made with bits of fried seabird.
- Kæstur Hákarl: Kæstur Hákarl is a traditional dish of cured shark – commonly served in Iceland.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland?
The best hotels to stay in Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Iceland are:
- Hotel Jökulsárlón – Across the road from the lagoon, this hotel is situated in a prime location with an excellent restaurant, beautiful views of the lagoon and a friendly atmosphere.
- Kirkjubaejarklaustur Hotel – Located in a peaceful spot close to the lagoon, this hotel offers great amenities, a restaurant, and comfortable rooms.
- Fosshotel Vatnajökull – This contemporary hotel is about 15 minutes away from the lagoon and offers views of the nearby glaciers, saunas, and hot tubs.
- Arctic Comfort Hotel – Enjoy a great stay here with outdoor hot tubs, a restaurant, a bar and terrace, plus easy access to the lagoon.
- Hotel Skaftafell – With great views of the mountains and glaciers, this hotel offers luxurious rooms, a restaurant, and amenities like a fitness center and spa.
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Landmannalaugar is one of the most interesting places to visit in Iceland. Scroll down and click the button for more information.