Netherlands Best European Countries to Visit
The Netherlands is a vibrant country with much to offer. From rich history and culture to modern cities and attractions, there is something for everyone to explore. The country is known as the “Lowlands” and is located in northwestern Europe. It is home to some of the world’s greatest art, architecture and cuisine, as well as a variety of festivals and events. The Netherlands is a great destination for travelers looking for a unique experience.
Netherlands Best European Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Netherlands
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Amsterdam
- Language: Dutch (official)
A brief description of Netherlands
The Netherlands, or Holland as it is commonly known, is a country located in Northwest Europe, bordered by Belgium to the south and Germany to the east. The Netherlands is known for its flat landscape, canals, tulips, and windmills, as well as its liberal attitudes. Amsterdam is the country’s largest city and its capital, with other major cities including Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht, and Eindhoven. The Dutch economy is highly developed and open, with a focus on international trade and a large agricultural sector. The Netherlands is a founding member of the European Union, and is also a member of the United Nations, NATO, and the OECD.
What Things to do in Netherlands?
There are many things to do in Netherlands as listed below:
- Explore Amsterdam: From its pretty canals, museums and galleries to its lively café culture, Amsterdam is teeming with things to do and see. Take a canal boat tour and sip on a hot cup of hot cocoa through the city’s unique waterways or wander the Jordaan district for unique boutiques and cozy cafes.
- Visit the Keukenhof Tulip Gardens: This vast expanse of land filled with hundreds of thousands of tulips is one of the most beautiful places to visit in the Netherlands. Springtime is the best time to come here to experience the rare beauty of these epic flowery meadows.
- Visit Noordwijk: Dubbed “The Flower Bulb Capital of the World”, this town located by the sea is home to some of the most beautiful gardens and greenhouses in Europe.
- Pay a Visit to Rotterdam: This very modern city is full of life and vibrancy, making it the perfect place for travelers to experience the hustle and bustle of the Netherlands. From its ultra-modern architecture to its rich cultural heritage, there are plenty of things to do and see.
- Visit Maastricht: Although mainly known for its university and museum, Maastricht is also home to some of the most beautiful gardens and nature parks. Its location by the river and the nearby hills and woods make it the perfect destination for a daytrip or weekend getaway.
- Experience Dutch Cheese Markets: Dutch cheese markets take place throughout the Netherlands every Wednesday and Saturday, and they’re a great way to try some of the country’s tastiest cheeses.
- Enjoy Efteling: Known as one of the best amusement park experiences in Europe, Efteling is a haven for all ages. With something for everyone, visitors can explore a variety of themes, including fairytale, history, and nature.
- Take a Windmill Tour: Windmills are one of the most iconic landmarks in the Netherlands, so take a tour to one of these stunning structures to learn more about Dutch rural life.
- Wander through Zaanse Schans: Zaanse Schans is a picturesque open-air museum composed of restored Dutch windmills and neighborhood scenes from all over the country.
- Sample Dutch Cuisine: From crispy poffertjes to pannenkoeken (pancakes), Dutch cuisine is full of treats that are sure to please the palate. Be sure to try some of the country’s famous cheeses and pickled herring as well.
What are Best Foods at Netherlands?
For a food hunter out there, Netherlands has many best foods as listed below:
- Stroopwafels – Traditional Dutch waffle cookies sandwiched with a sticky syrup filling.
- Dutch hot chocolate – Thick, creamy hot chocolate topped with sweet whipped cream.
- Poffertjes – Bite-sized pancakes dusted with icing sugar.
- Stamppot – A classic dish of mashed potatoes and vegetables, usually served with either smoked sausage, bacon or Dutch beef ragout.
- Frikandel – A deep-fried, oblong-shaped sausage traditionally served with fries, mayo and curry ketchup.
- Kibbeling – Deep-fried chunks of white fish dipped in garlic or tarter sauce.
- Kaassoufflé – Deliciously cheesy deep-fried snacks.
- Syrniki – Dutch-style pancakes filled with farmer’s cheese.
- Dutch apple cake – Moist, fluffy cake topped with crunchy cinnamon streusel.
- Bitterballen – Deep-fried snacks, usually served with mustard.
What are Best Hotels to Stay in Netherlands?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Netherlands. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- Hotel Krasnapolsky, Amsterdam
- Druivenstreek Hotel, Schouwen-Duiveland
- Noordwijkse Duinen Hotel, Noordwijk
- Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam
- Thuis aan de Amstel, Amsterdam
- NH Collection Amsterdam Koningshof, Veldhoven
- Hotel The Toren, Amsterdam
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, Amsterdam
- Hotel des Indes, The Hague
- Golden Tulip Leiden Centre, Leiden
Best Attractions in Netherlands
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Netherlands.
No posts found!
The best destinations you must visit in Netherlands are Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Giethoorn, Kinderdijk, Utrecht, The Hague, Zaandam, Maastricht, Delft and Nijmegen.
The best attractions in Netherlands you must visit are:
- Keukenhof Gardens
- Van Gogh Museum
- Canal Ring
- Anne Frank House
- Kapelbrug Windmills
- Royal Palace of Amsterdam
- Efteling Theme Park