Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania World Heritage Site
Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania is a stunning World Heritage Site whose natural beauty and remarkable wildlife make it a top tourist attraction. The crater floor is home to over 30,000 large animals including rare black rhinos, lions, cheetahs, leopards, elephants, and buffaloes. Visitors can also spot zebras, elands, warthogs and more.
Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania World Heritage Site Summary
- Attraction Name: Ngorongoro Crater
- Country: Tanzania
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Dodoma
- Language: Swahili and English (de facto)
- Currency: Tanzanian Shilling
- Nationality: Tanzanian
Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania is one of the most impressive natural wonders on the planet. The crater is home to a variety of wildlife, and is one of the best places to observe and photograph African animals, like lions, leopards, elephants and buffalos. There is also an impressive variety of birds in the area, making it a must-visit destination for nature lovers and birdwatchers. It is also one of the few places on the planet where you can spot the endangered Black Rhino.
Tell us about Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania
Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania is a large caldera, encompassing approximately 300 square kilometers (115 square miles). It is the world’s largest inactive, intact, and unfilled volcanic caldera, and it is home to an incredible array of wildlife and natural beauty. The crater is part of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, which is an UNESCO World Heritage Site due to its national significance.
The crater is home to an incredibly diverse array of wildlife, including the famous “Big Five” animals (lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, and rhinoceros). It is also home to a massive array of other animals and birds, including wildebeest, zebra, hyenas, cheetahs, warthogs, hippos, jackals, and plenty of other animals.
The Ngorongoro Crater is a great destination for wildlife lovers and those who want to experience the beauty of Tanzania’s natural landscape. It is also a great place to take in some of the local culture, with many Maasai villages located along the crater rim. There are also many opportunities to explore the various waterholes, lakes, and other features in and around the crater.
What are the things to do in Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania?
Ngorongoro Crater is an amazing natural wonder in Northern Tanzania and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Eastern Africa. This ancient caldera is filled with an array of diverse wildlife, stunning landscapes, and a wide variety of activities available. Here are some of the best things to do when visiting this incredible destination.
- Explore the Wildlife at Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania: This ancient crater is home to a variety of animals such as elephants, zebras, lions, leopards, cheetahs, jackals, wildebeests, buffalo, hippos, and more. A jeep safari is the perfect way to explore this incredible habitat, admire the animals in their natural surroundings, and gain insight into their habits and personalities.
- Witness the Magnificent Views: When standing at the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania, visitors can truly appreciate the beauty and size of the natural wonder. Stretching at approximately 306 square kilometers, the striking views are a sight to marvel at.
- Visit the Maasai Community: It is possible for tourists to stop to a traditional Maasai village along the way. Visitors can observe how the Maasai community maintains their traditional lifestyle and embrace the culture in a unique and enlightening way.
- Cycle around the Crater Rim: For more adventurous travelers, cycling around Ngorongoro Crater Rim is an amazing experience. Cycling around the crater rim is a great way to get a different perspective of the wonderful landscape and the wildlife below.
- Take a Hot Air Balloon Ride: Take a spectacular hot air balloon ride to truly experience the beauty of Ngorongoro Crater. While gliding over the crater, visitors will get to observe the diverse wildlife and marvel at the stunning views below.
- Picnic under an Acacia Tree: What better way to appreciate the beauty of the area than to have a picnic in the shade of an acacia tree amidst the herds of wildlife? With an abundance of greens and grasslands, it is the perfect way to enjoy the nature around you.
- Visit Empakaai Crater Floor: Take a 4-wheel drive vehicle to travel across the crater wall and explore the lake and its surroundings. There, visitors can observe and marvel at the flamingo colonies and varied aquatic species living in the lake.
A visit to Ngorongoro Crater is a unique and unforgettable experience. Whether you are looking for a wildlife safari, a picnic lunch in the wilderness, or a hot air balloon flight to admire the incredible views, there is something for everyone to explore and enjoy in this incredible natural wonder.
What are the best foods at Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania?
The best foods at Ngorongoro Crater are:
- Grilled wildebeest
- Lentil and vegetable soup
- Masala-spiced fried zebra
- Roast bush buck
- Pilau (rice dish)
- Fried bugs
- Grilled antelope
- Vetersu (sweet potato porridge)
- Barbecued wildebeest sausages
- Fried caterpillars
What are the best hotels to stay in Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania?
The best hotels to stay in Ngorongoro Crater are:
- Serena Safari Lodge
- Ndutu Safari Lodge
- The Manor
- Farm House
- Sopa Lodge
- Wildlife Lodge
- Crater Lodge
- Lemala Ngorongoro Camp
- Entamanu Ngorongoro Camp
- Rhino Lodge
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Tanzania you must visit are:
- Serengeti National Park
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Selous Game Reserve
- Mahale Mountains National Park
- Gombe Stream National Park
- Olduvai Gorge
- Mt. Meru
- Lake Manyara National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!