Sossusvlei Namibia Popular Tourist Destination
Sossusvlei Namibia Popular Tourist Destination Summary
- Attraction Name: Sossusvlei
- Country: Namibia
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Windhoek
- Language: English
- Currency: Namibia dollar (symbol: N$; code: NAD)
- Nationality: Namibian
Sossusvlei Namibia is home to some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the world. It is a stunning desert oasis where you can experience fascinating salt and clay pans, awe-inspiring red dunes, and incredible animal species including gemsbok, springbok, and ostrich. With its unique landscape, stunning sunsets, star-filled night skies and amazing wildlife, it is definitely a must-visit destination in Namibia.
Tell us about Sossusvlei Namibia
Sossusvlei is a huge area of salt and clay pans located in the Namib-Naukluft National Park in Namibia. It is predominantly known for its giant red sand dunes which can reach up to 400 metres high. The sand dunes were formed over millions of years by sand blown in from the Atlantic Ocean, and are some of the highest, and most photographed in the world.
Sossusvlei is also home to a large number of species of plants, birds, reptiles and mammals. The area can be explored by 4X4, or on foot, and is a popular tourist destination thanks to its unique landscape and abundance of wildlife.
What are the things to do in Sossusvlei Namibia?
Sossusvlei is a stunning desert area located in Namib-Naukluft National Park in the southwestern part of Namibia. This area is known for its magnificent sand dunes, breathtaking desert landscapes, and prolific wildlife. It’s an excellent destination for those seeking adventure and relaxation in the Namibian desert.
Some of the top things to do include:
- Climb the world’s highest sand dunes – Climb up to the top of the incredible sand dunes in Sossusvlei, including Big Daddy and Dune 45. You’ll be rewarded with stunning views of the desert below.
- See the World’s Oldest Desert – One of the most awe-inspiring sights in the Namib Desert is the Dead Vlei, a white pan filled with ancient, petrified trees. Take a walk into this ancient environment and marvel at its beauty.
- Witness Wild Animals in their Natural Habitat – The Namib Desert is home to many different species of animals, including wild horses, baboons, jackals, meerkats, and ostriches. You can also spot animals such as the Hartmann’s Mountain zebra, leopard, kudu, and springbok.
- Visit Sesriem Canyon – Catch a glimpse of the ancient canyons carved in the sandstone. This canyon is also an excellent spot to watch birds and other small animals.
- Take a Balloon Ride – Watch the desert from the sky by signing up for a hot air balloon ride over the Sossusvlei area. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience and an unforgettable way to see the desert.
- Tour the Dunes on a 4×4 Vehicle – Go on a thrilling desert tour and experience the beauty of the Namib in a 4×4 vehicle. There are many routes to choose from and some of them offer stunning views of the desert landscape.
- Stargaze and Admire the Milky Way – Being away from the city lights, the night sky in Sossusvlei is a true wonder. Set up a blanket and admire the dazzling stars and the Milky Way.
- Go on an Overnight Safari – Pack your camping gear and explore the magical environment and wildlife of the Namib Desert on an exciting overnight safari.
These are just some of the amazing things to do in Sossusvlei, Namibia. From sunrise hot air balloon rides to overnight wild safaris, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to explore this incredible part of the world.
What are the best foods at Sossusvlei Namibia?
The best foods at Sossusvlei are:
- Prickly Pears
- Camel Stew
- Grilled Oryx Skewers
- Fried Camel Sausage
- Grilled Namaqua Chameleons
- Millet Bread
- Roasted Bushveld Vegetable Potjie
- Locally Sourced Cheese with Olives and Bread
- Deep-Fried Korana Worms
What are the best hotels to stay in Sossusvlei Namibia?
The best hotels to stay in Sossusvlei are:
- Solitaire Lodge
- Sossus Dune Lodge
- Beyond Sossusvlei Desert Lodge
- Desert Homestead Outpost
- Desert Quiver Camp
- Sossusvlei Mountain Lodge
- Sossusvlei Lodge
- Namib Naukluft Lodge & Campsite
- Desert Mountain Lodge
- Kulala Desert Lodge
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Namibia you must visit are:
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Skeleton Coast
- Caprivi Strip
- Twyfelfontein Rock Art Sites
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!