Valle del Elqui Chile Top Tourist Destinations
The small town of Vicuña in the Valle del Elqui, Chile, is a unique place. Its small size has allowed locals and travelers alike to connect and create wonderful experiences. The people, too, are vibrant and full of life. There are the hotel owners and artisans who are continually welcoming and open to share stories and adventures.
From the serene acoustics of the desert plants to the smiles of the local children, you’ll quickly feel welcome in Vicuña. The rich Chilean culture is alive and well, from the folklore to the rich history—it’s truly a remarkable place to explore and take in. With its rustic charm, delicious cuisine and ever-changing landscape, Vicuña, Chile, is a place you’re sure to never forget.
Valle del Elqui Chile Top Tourist Destinations Summary
- Attraction: Valle del Elqui Chile
- Country: Chile
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Santiago
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Chilean Peso
- Nationality: Chilean
Valle del Elqui is a beautiful area of Chile located in the northern part of the country and is known for its stunning landscapes, its excellent climate and its growing reputation as an eco-adventure type of destination. The area is famous for its vineyards, diverse wildlife and local gastronomic experiences.
Valle del Elqui is also known for being the birthplace of Nobel Prize-winning poet Pablo Neruda, and is a popular place for stargazing due to its high elevation, dry air, and lack of light pollution. It is a great place for outdoor activities due its dramatic mountains and valleys, crystal clear rivers, and its unique geology, vegetation and wildlife. Valle del Elqui also offers gentle views of the Andes, making it a great choice for nature lovers and outdoor adventurers.
Tell Us About Valle del Elqui Chile
Valle del Elqui is one of the top tourist destinations in Chile for its stunning valleys, sprawling vineyards, and stunning mountain views. The area is home to Elqui Valley, a UNESCO-protected biosphere reserve known for its beautiful, dry desert valleys and crystal-clear night skies, perfect for stargazing. There is also a large variety of activities for travelers, such as visiting art galleries, sipping pisco in local bars and restaurants, and exploring the Elqui Valley pueblos. Plus, with several sunny days each year, Valle del Elqui Chile is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- Experience the Magical Night Skies: Valle del Elqui is one of the best spots in the world to stargaze due to its unpolluted air and dry climate. On clear nights, visitors can marvel at up to 4,000 stars visible to the naked eye, as well as multiple planets and constellations like the Milky Way.
- Explore the Local Vineyards: Located in the heart of the Elqui Valley, the local vineyards offer visitors a chance to sample some of the delicious wines made in the area. Whether you’re looking for a nice white or a rich, tannic red, the Elqui Valley has something for every wine-lover’s palate.
- Discover the Local Culture: Two of the major cultural attractions of Valle del Elqui are the native Mapuche and Latin American traditions. Visitors can attend performances of traditional folk music and explore artisan markets selling handcrafted souvenirs.
- Visit the Valley’s Museums and Hiking Trails: One can admire the beauty of Valle del Elqui by exploring the area’s museums, as well as its numerous hiking trails. The local museums provide visitors with a chance to learn about the history of the valley and its inhabitants, while the hiking trails offer a unique way to take in the breath-taking landscapes.
What are the Things to do in Valle del Elqui Chile?
Valle del Elqui Chile is a stunning. Located in the heart of the Elqui Valley, it provides the perfect combination of beautiful landscapes and cultural activities. There’s plenty of things to do in the scenic Valle del Elqui – no matter what you’re into, you’ll find something to love.
- Head Out on a Hike– Valle del Elqui is full of amazing scenery, meaning it would make for a perfect hiking destination. Some of the popular trails include the Quebrada de Ichillo, Picarquín Hill, and the Pisco Paloma Trail.
- Visit the Elqui Valley Vineyards– Valle del Elqui is home to some of the best vineyards in the country. You can tour the vineyards, learn about the winemaking process, and enjoy some of the best wines in the country.
- Visit the Observatory– Valle del Elqui boasts one of the most incredible astronomical observatories in South America – the International Centre for Astronomy. Here, you can join star-gazing tours and stargazing parties, attend lectures and workshops, and marvel at the night sky above.
- Go Horseback Riding– Horseback riding in Valle del Elqui is an experience in itself. You can rent horses from local ranches and enjoy a leisurely ride through the valley.
- Go Skiing or Snowboarding– Despite its low elevation, Valle del Elqui still offers some top-notch skiing and snowboarding spots. Ski in the terrestrial zones of the valley and take in some stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Enjoy a Spa Day– Take a break and relax with a spa day in Valle del Elqui. You’ll find plenty of spas offering treatments such as facials, massages, and even aromatherapy.
- Explore the Town of Vicuña– Valle del Elqui is home to the charming town of Vicuña. This is a great spot to take in local architecture, visit wacky souvenir shops, enjoy delicious food, and tour historical sites.
- Go Wine Tasting– Enjoy a romantic evening with a wine tasting experience. Valle del Elqui is full of world-class wineries and wineries. Enjoy some of the best choice with a romantic setting.
Valle del Elqui is a must-visit destination in Chile. With a wide range of activities and breathtaking sights, you’ll never be bored! The surrounding landscapes and fascinating culture make this place a unique, unforgettable destination. So, make sure to add Valle del Elqui to your list of places to visit.
What are the Best Foods at Valle del Elqui Chile?
Valle del Elqui is renowned for its rich gastronomic traditions. Commonly served dishes include humitas (corn tamales), which are served with onion, raisins, chilli peppers and a side of pebre (a type of salsa). Chicha de jora (a traditional Andean beer) also offers an interesting and unique twist on a cold beverage. Charquicán, a traditional Chilean stew made with beef, potatoes, onions, and carrots, is also a popular dish.
To end your meal on a sweet note, try cuchuflín, a crispy cake made with pumpkin, cornmeal and syrup. Other classic dishes include curanto, which is a seafood stew, cazuela, a rich soup made with beef, vegetables, and potatoes, and empanadas de pino, savory pastries filled with ground beef, raisins, olives, and onions.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Valle del Elqui Chile?
Some of the best hotels you can stay in Valle del Elqui Chile are:
- Hotel Los Españoles de Elqui, Vicuña
- Hostal Elqui, Vicuña
- Louvre Inn, Vicuña
- Hostal El Faro de Pisco, Pisco Elqui
- Elqui Residences, VicuñaHotel Casa Las Perdices, Vicuña
- Valle del Elqui Hotel & Spa, Vicuña
- Hotel Petit Relais, Vicuña
- Hotel del Desierto, Paihuano
- Eco Lodge Solar de Manzano, Paihuano
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Scroll down and click the button for more information about the best destinations in Chile.