Caprivi Strip Namibia Ecologically Diverse Regions
The Caprivi Strip is a narrow strip of land located in northeastern Namibia. It is bounded by Angola, Zambia, Botswana, and the Okavango River, which forms the border with Botswana. The Caprivi Strip is one of the most ecologically diverse regions in all of Africa, boasting a wide variety of landscapes and ecosystems.
Caprivi Strip Namibia Ecologically Diverse Regions Summary
- Attraction Name: Caprivi Strip
- Country: Namibia
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Windhoek
- Language: English
- Currency: Namibia dollar (symbol: N$; code: NAD)
- Nationality: Namibian
Caprivi Strip, located in the northeast of Namibia, is an essential part of the country and offers visitors a wide range of activities and attractions. This strip is home to vast wetlands and varying freshwater and saltwater ecosystems, making it a great destination for wildlife viewing. Visitors can spot large herds of elephant and Cape buffalo, plus numerous other animal species. The area is also rich in birdlife, making it a top destination for bird watching.
In addition to the impressive animal life, the Caprivi Strip is home to some of Namibia’s most spectacular landscapes, with expansive savannah grasslands and vast wetlands. Finally, the area itself offers preserved traditional cultures, such as those of the Tonga people and the San, making it the perfect place to explore the local history and culture of the country.
Tell us about Caprivi Strip Namibia
The Caprivi Strip is a narrow strip of land that forms the eastern border of the country of Namibia. It is bordered by Zimbabwe to the north, Botswana to the south, Angola to the west, and Zambia to the east. The strip is home to the easternmost point in the Namibian territory. It was created during the colonial period of Namibia, when German colonialists annexed a vast area of Eastern Africa as part of the former German South-West Africa.
The strip has been a source of conflict since its creation, with various regions and states within the region competing for strategic and political resources. Attempts to resolve the conflict through peaceful means have so far failed.
What are the things to do in Caprivi Strip Namibia?
Things to do in Caprivi Strip are:
- Enjoy the Wildlife in Okavango Delta: Caprivi Strip is a fantastic place for wildlife viewing. The largest wetland in the world provides an unparalleled opportunity to experience wide ranges of avian and mammalian species. Here, you can spot elephants, lions,buffalo, antelopes, zebras, wildebeests, hippos, crocodiles, flocks of pelicans and other birds in their natural habitat.
- Boat Rides and Cruises: The best way to explore the beauty of Okavango Delta is by taking a boat ride or luxury cruise. These journey usually starts and ends in Livingstone, Zambia, and feast tourists’ eyes with gorgeous views of rugged cliffs, lush green vegetation and hundreds of species of birds and mammals.
- Visit Victoria Falls: The mighty Victoria Falls are situated within the boundaries of Zambia and Zimbabwe, and are easily accessible from the Caprivi Strip. While here, visitors can marvel at the beauty of the cascading waters, explore the wide range of activities, such as white water rafting, horse riding, and sunset cruises.
- Fish Buffalo River: Buffalo River, located close to the Caprivi Strip, is a great spot for fishing. Here, you can cast your bait, and try your luck in catching some of the amazing specimens found in the river. Here, you can also look out for a variety of birds like egrets, pelicans, ibises and kingfishers.
- Have an Adventure on the Zambezi River: The Zambezi River is not just known for being the fourth-longest river in Africa, but even for its array of white water rapids and several other adventure activities. While at the Zambezi River, you can explore the exciting rafting and kayaking options, spot crocodiles and hippos, and go for amazing day trips.
- Explore the Scenic Beauty of Chobe National Park: Chobe National Park, another must-see destination in Caprivi Strip, is where you can find large herds of elephants, herds of buffalo roaming around, as well as a wide range of predators. Other locations for exploration within the park include the Savuti Marsh and Linyanti Marsh.
- Take a Safari at Mudumu National Park: Mudumu National Park is a great place to take a tour of the Caprivi Strip. Here, you get to look out of the mesmerizing landscapes, endangered wildlife species, rugged bushveld and interesting cultural practices of the local communities. Seeing the antelopes, giraffes, wildebeest, elephants and buffalo, along with various vultures and raptors, is an amazing experience here.
What are the best foods at Caprivi Strip Namibia?
The best foods at Caprivi Strip include Sicanga grill-roasted Tilapia & Catfish, Epako Grilled Chicken & Seafood Stew, Nyemba Mopane Worm Stew, Chakalaka & Pap Buns, and Mahango Slices.
What are the best hotels to stay in Caprivi Strip Namibia?
The best hotels to stay in Caprivi Strip are:
- Namushasha River Lodge
- Popa Falls Safari Lodge
- Namushasha River Resort
- Caprivi Houseboat Lodge
- Mashi Conservancy Camp
- Kwando Lagoon Camp
- Namushasha Homecamp
- Eco-Lodge Nambwa
- Rio Zambezi Lodge
- Ngwezi Lodge
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Namibia you must visit are:
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Skeleton Coast
- Twyfelfontein Rock Art Sites
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!