Chefchaouen Morocco Beautiful Mountain Town
Chefchaouen is a beautiful mountain town in the Rif Mountains of northern Morocco. It is known for its stunning blue-and-white-washed buildings and a tranquil atmosphere that make it a stunning destination for travelers. From the Kasbah Museum to the Medina, Chefchaouen will captivate you with its stunning beauty and fascinating culture.
Chefchaouen Morocco Beautiful Mountain Town Summary
- Attraction Name: Chefchaouen
- Country: Morocco
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Rabat
- Language: Arabic and Standard Moroccan Berber
- Currency: Moroccan Dirham
- Nationality: Moroccan(s)
Chefchaouen is known for its blue-washed Medina, or old town. It is considered a popular tourist attraction amidst Moroccan cities, with its distinct and vibrant blue-washed walls of the old town. The blue of the streets, buildings and doorways creates a unique atmosphere that has made Chefchaouen a popular spot for photography enthusiasts and travelers looking for an interesting experience. It is also known for its narrow winding backstreets and red-tiled roofs as well as its heritage of Jewish religious sites.
The town’s proximity to the Rif Mountains allows for many outdoor recreational activities, such as hiking, caving, and biking. With its relaxed, laid-back atmosphere, Chefchaouen is a great destination for those looking to experience traditional Moroccan culture and hospitality in a smaller town.
Tell us about Chefchaouen Morocco
Chefchaouen is a city located in Morocco, in the Rif region. It is known for its distinctive blue-washed buildings and stunning mountain views. The city has many attractions including ancient medina, winding alleyways, quaint squares, and vibrant markets.
The city is known as “The Blue City”, due to its blue-washed buildings, which symbolize the importance of cleanliness within the Muslim faith. There are plenty of cultural activities such as traditional music, folk dancing and art galleries. Nearby attractions include the nearby Charifa Waterfalls, a popular destination for hikers and nature lovers.
What are the things to do in Chefchaouen Morocco?
Chefchaouen is a small, picturesque town situated in the Rif Mountains of Northwest Morocco. The town dates back to 1471 and its cobbled streets, vivid blue buildings and ancient markets make it a popular destination. There is so much to explore in Chefchaouen, so here are just some of the wonderful things to do:
- Stroll through the Medina: The Medina, or old town, is the historic heart of Chefchaouen. You can spend hours exploring the narrow, twisty alleyways and admiring the charming buildings and colorful plants. Be sure to check out the church square and Grand Mosque.
- Take a dip in the nearby river: A short drive away is the Oued Laou, a river that flows through the mountains and has several great swimming spots. There is a tranquil swimming pool at the Parador hotel, or head to the peak of Laou river for a breathtaking view of the mountains.
- Marvel at the Spanish Mosque: The Grande Mokaa Laalou, or Spanish Mosque as it’s also called, is an architectural and spiritual wonder. The incredible tilework covers the entire exterior, making it a sight to behold.
- Visit the Kasaba tannery: The aromatic Kasaba tannery is one of the most popular attractions in Chefchaouen and for good reason. Check out the stacks of colorful dye-soaked leather atop the rooftop dyers, then step out and grab a freshly brewed mint tea.
- Shop for spices at the market: The hustle and bustle of the local market will take your breath away. Wander through the stalls where you can pick up unique souvenirs, traditional spices and beautiful fabrics.
- Admire the local artisans’ work: Throughout the town, you’ll find wonderful traditional craftwork on display, much of which is made by local artisans. Head to the artisans’ boutique to stock up on premium handmade leather, ceramics and metal work.
- Explore the Rif Mountains: There are plenty of nearby trekking and biking routes to explore, so rent a bike and hit the trails. The panoramic views over the Rif Mountains are truly stunning.
- Relax at one of the many spas: Chefchaouen is home to some luxurious spas and wellness centers. Enjoy a massage with traditional Moroccan ingredients, or indulge in an aromatherapy therapy session. The perfect way to relax and unwind.
What are the best foods at Chefchaouen Morocco?
Chefchaouen is known for its traditional Moroccan cuisine, and some of the most popular dishes to try including tagines, couscous, pastilla, and b’stilla. Additionally, the city is renowned for its delicious fresh seafood, including fish such as loup de mer, sardines, and anchovies, as well as calamari and squid. Those with a sweet tooth can also enjoy Chefchaouen’s traditional pastries, such as makrouta, as well as its famous local ice cream flavors.
Some of the most popular dishes in Chefchaouen include couscous, tajine, kefta, harira soup, omelette chamharouch, snails, and pastilla. Other local specialties include snails cooked with cumin, hasma, and rolls of goat cheese and honey.
What are the best hotels to stay in Chefchaouen Morocco?
The best hotels to stay in Chefchaouen are:
- Riad Nejma Chaouen: This riad offers calm and comfortable accommodation in the heart of the local medina. As a bonus, guests will have access to the patio, terrace and a panoramic view of Chefchaouen.
- Les Matins Bleus: Located in an old medina, Les Matins Bleus is close to key tourist attractions in the city. This family-run hotel offers the best of Moroccan hospitality with a team of caring and attentive staff.
- Dar Ennassim: This charming hotel is located in a restored 16th century Riad. Guests can enjoy traditional Moroccan hospitality while taking in the wonderful views of Chefchaouen from the rooftop terrace.
- Kasbah Rif : This classic hotel features modern amenities and stylish interiors. It offers an outdoor pool, restaurant and terrace. Guests can relax in the sun or take a dip in the pool.
- Paradise Rif Hotel: This 4-star property offers spacious accommodation, stunning views and an outdoor pool. Guests can make use of the spa facilities and enjoy a traditional Moroccan meal in the on-site restaurant.
What is the next tourist destination after you visit Chefchaouen Morocco Beautiful Mountain Town?
The next attractions in Morocco you must visit are:
- Jemaa el-Fnaa Square, Marrakech
- Chefchaouen, The Blue City
- Fes Medina and University
- Merzouga Desert and its Ergs
- Agadir Beach
- Essaouira Beach and City
- Hassan II Mosque, Casablanca
- Museum of Moroccan Arts, Rabat
- Todgha Gorge
- Oasis of M’Hamid El Ghizlane
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!