Guatemala Best North America Countries to Visit
Guatemala is a sovereign state, bordered by Mexico, Belize, Honduras and El Salvador. It also has extensive coastlines on the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean and contains lush jungles, snow-capped mountains, and ancient Mayan ruins. Despite its beauty and history, Guatemala is among the world’s poorest countries, and its population often struggles to access basic goods and services.
Guatemala Best North America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Guatemala
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: Guatemala City
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Guatemalan Quetzal (GTQ)
- Nationality: Guatemalan
A brief description of Guatemala
Guatemala is a country in Central America bordered by Mexico to the north and west, the Pacific Ocean to the south, and Belize, Honduras, and El Salvador to the east. It has a population of about 17 million people and a land area of about 42,042 square miles. Guatemala is known for its rich Maya heritage, its resorts on the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean, and its coffee and chocolate production.
The country is home to numerous mountain ranges, volcanoes, lakes and rivers, tropical jungles, ancient Mayan ruins, and stunning colonial architecture. Other main attractions include Antigua, a UNESCO World Heritage Site; Tikal, a famous Mayan ruin; Lake Atitlan, a turquoise lake in the highlands; and the lively city of Chichicastenango, known for its markets.
What are the Things to do in Guatemala?
There are many things to do in Guatemala as listed below:
- Explore the Mayan Ruins: Guatemala is home to many of the most well-known and impressive Maya ruins in the world, including Tikal and Quiriguá. These incredible structures offer insight into the lives of the ancient Maya and are great reminders of this country’s rich cultural heritage. Whether you take a guided tour or explore on your own, visiting some of the many archaeological sites in Guatemala is an experience you won’t soon forget.
- Visit the Colonial Cities: Guatemala’s colonial cities still preserve their Spanish charm and traditions and make for great vacations for those looking for a little history and culture. The capital city, Guatemala City, is a must-see for its Baroque architecture, museums, and galleries. Antigua is another very popular spot for its cobblestone streets, colonial buildings, and stunning scenery.
- Go hiking around Lake Atitlán: Due to its incredible views, Lake Atitlán is one of the must-see places in Guatemala. The lake is surrounded by three volcanoes and several charming lakeside towns, making it an ideal destination for hikers and nature lovers. Spend the day doing some of the various local hikes or boat rides available to explore the lake and its surrounding area.
- Experience the Guatemalan Street Food: This country is famous for its delicious street food. Grab some typical dishes like tamales or tacos and explore the small food stands to sample some of the local flavors. You can also get freshly squeezed juices and learn about the many fruits and vegetables that are commonly found in this country.
- Explore the Guatemalan Highlands: The Guatemalan Highlands are a great place to explore and have some outdoor fun. Here you can hike, mountain bike, and horseback ride while enjoying incredible views and soaking in the local culture. There are many small villages to explore and a number of interesting and unique historical sites.
- Relax on the Beach: The Pacific Coast and the Caribbean Coast of Guatemala offer different types of beach experiences. On the Pacific Coast, you can enjoy the black-sand beaches of Monterrico, or the more remote locations like El Paredón. On the Caribbean Coast, you’ll find beautiful white-sand beaches, perfect for a peaceful vacation away from it all.
What are the Best Foods at Guatemala?
The best foods in Guatemala are undoubtedly tamales, which are steaming bundles of maize dough, served with different fillings such as meat, vegetables and cheese. Guatemalan street food also includes various tacos and salbutes. Empanadas are filled pastries, served with a variety of fillings such as meats, vegetables, beans and cheese. Boiled eggs, chuchitos, enchiladas and plantain tortillas are all common foods found in Guatemalan cuisine. Pork, beans, vegetables and potatoes are popular ingredients in many dishes, alongside rice and maize.
Pupusas are a favorite, filled with a variety of ingredients such as cheese, potato or chicharrón. Sopa de frijoles is a traditional bean soup, served with onions, garlic and cilantro. The tropical country also has plenty of sweeter options, such as tres leches cake, flan and bananas in syrup.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Guatemala?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Guatemala. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- CasaSito Boutique Hotel (Guatemala City)
- Hotel Dos Mundos (Antigua)
- Hotel Casa Palopó (San Antonio Palopó)
- Hayh Hotel (Antigua)
- Hotel Vista Real (Panajachel)
- Hotel Palacio Chavarrí (Antigua)
- La Casa del Consulado (Antigua)
- Hotel La Quinta de las Monjas (Antigua)
- Parador San Buenaventura (Finca El Zapote)
- Amatique Bay Resort and Marina (Puerto San José)
Best Attractions in Guatemala
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Guatemala.
No posts found!
The best cities that you must visit in Guatemala are Antigua, Quetzaltenango, Tikal, Flores, Rio Dulce, Lake Atitlan, Monterrico, Coban, Chichicastenango and Livingston.
The best attractions in Guatemala you must visit are:
- Tikal National Park
- Volcán Pacaya
- Lake Atitlán
- Chichicastenango Market
- Antigua Guatemala
- Semuc Champey
- Santa Catarina Palopó
- El Mirador
- Guatemala City
- Monterrico Beach
The best destinations you must visit in Guatemala are Tikal National Park, Lake Atitlan, Semuc Champey, Chichicastenango Market, Antigua Guatemala, Quetzaltenango, Monterrico Beach, Flores, Coban and Rio Dulce