Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam
Hoi An is a beautiful, ancient town located in Quang Nam Province in central Vietnam. Once an important regional trading port, the UNESCO-listed Old Town retains traditional buildings and houses, alongside pagodas and temples. The streets of Hoi An Ancient Town are steeped in culture and history, with narrow lanes and colorful buildings lining the canals.
Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam Summary
- Attraction Name: Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam
- Country: Vietnam
- Continent: Asia
- Capital Name: Hanoi
- Language: Vietnamese
- Currency: Vietnamese dong
- Nationality: Vietnamese (de facto)
Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam is an exceptionally well preserved Traditional Southeast Asian trading port dating from the 15th to 19th centuries. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and is believed to be one of the most picturesque towns in all of Vietnam.
Visitors come for its charming architecture, narrow cobblestoned streets, colorful lanterns, beautiful riverside scenery, as well as its many shops and restaurants. This place is also a great place to experience the traditional culture of Vietnam. It offers a wide range of things to do from exploring the old town’s historical buildings and markets, to taking part in traditional festivals, visiting centuries-old temples, museums, and more. Visitors are sure to be captivated by the beauty, energy, and culture of Hoi An.
Tell us about Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam
Hoi An Ancient Town is a cultural heritage site located in the central Quang Nam province of Vietnam. It was once one of the most important trading ports in South-East Asia. Visitors can explore the town’s rich history, architecture, culture and cuisine. The streets are lined with beautiful Chinese-style buildings, curved walls, Chinese lanterns and traditional wooden houses. The town also has many ancient sites and artifacts that date back to the 15th century. One of the most well-known sites is the Japanese Covered Bridge.
Visitors can also explore the nearby My Son Sanctuary, a UNESCO World Heritage Site containing antiquated Hindu burial chapels from the Cham civilization. The town is also the home of two iconic festivals – the Hoi An Lantern Festival and the Silk Road Festival.
What are the things to do in Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam?
Hoi An Ancient Town is located in Quang Nam Province, Vietnam. With its well-preserved historic buildings, it is not hard to feel the rich commercial heritage of the city.
- Take a leisurely walk around Hoi An Ancient Town’s colorful streets – You can observe the striking, yellow-colored merchant houses, decorated with paper lanterns and red Chinese-style roofs, each street filled with restaurants, traditional teahouses, galleries and souvenir shops.
- Visit the beautiful Japanese Bridge – An iconic landmark built in the 1590’s, the Japanese Covered Bridge is an iconic landmark which served as an important link between Chinese and Japanese merchants. Visit this stunning structure to admire its intricate architecture, which also makes it an important spiritual symbol in the local community.
- Relax at An Bang Beach – Take a break from exploring the city and head to An Bang Beach to soak up some sun and relax. This stunning beach is perfect for swimming, walking along the shore and enjoying a tasty meal at the nearby beach shacks.
- Experience the Thu Bon River – Take a boat ride along the Thu Bon River to appreciate the peaceful atmosphere, while admiring the stunning views of Hoi An. You may even be lucky enough to spot a local fisherman or two.
- Try a local cooking class – Learning to cook traditional Vietnamese dishes is a great way to get to know the local culture a bit better. There are plenty of local cooking classes that you can take to learn how to cook some of the local dishes.
- Explore the local rice paddies – Elongated paths of bright green rice terraces form a beautiful emerald patchwork in the countryside. Exploring the local rice paddies will provide you with an insight into the traditional way of life of the locals.
- Shop for souvenirs – Hoi An Ancient Town is known for its beautiful shopping streets, so don’t forget to buy some souvenirs for loved ones back home. Whether it’s embroidered fabrics, colorful lanterns, handmade wooden crafts or traditional jewelry, there’s something for everyone.
- Visit the Hoi An Museum of Trade Ceramics – Located in the heart of the city, the Hoi An Museum of Trade Ceramics holds thousands of years’ worth of ceramics, pottery and artifacts that reflect the trading history of the Ancient Town.
- Join a local weaving class – Get to know the traditional art of weaving by taking a local weaving class. You can learn how to turn raw cotton or silk into beautiful fabrics such as scarves, tablecloths and other textiles.
Experience Hoi An’s magical atmosphere and colorful streets and you won’t be disappointed! From admiring the town’s impressive architecture, relaxing at the beach, trying a local cooking class, exploring the local rice paddies, shopping for souvenirs and visiting the local museum, there’s plenty to do in this charming city.
What are the best foods at Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam?
The best foods at Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam are:
- Cao Lau: A savory dish made with thick noodles, pork and veggies
- White Rose: Steamed dumplings filled with pork, shrimp and mushrooms
- Banh Mi: Freshly baked baguettes filled with various meats and vegetables
- Hoanh Thanh: Fried Wonton stuffed with pork and vegetables
- Com Ga: Chicken cooked with turmeric and served over rice
- Mi Quang: Thick noodles combined with shrimp, pork and vegetables
- Tam Huu: Deep-fried spring rolls filled with vegetables, noodles and shrimp
- Bánh Xèo: A delicious pancake filled with shrimp, pork, mushrooms and beans
- Nem Lui: Lemongrass and pork skewers, grilled over charcoal
- Bánh Bèo: Rice cakes topped with pork, shrimp and scallions.
What are the best hotels to stay in Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam?
The best hotels to stay in Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam are:
- Luxury Hoi An Ancient Town Motorbike Hotel
- Faifo Boutique Riverside Hoi An
- Vinh Hung 3 Hotel
- Orchid Garden Hotel Hoi An
- Aria Hoi An Hotel
- Thanh Van 2 Hotel
- Cicelia Hoi An Hotel & Villas
- Hoi An Hotel De L’Opera
- Hoi An Inspire Boutique Hotel & Spa
- Cocobay Hoi An Beach Resort
What is the next tourist destination after you visiting Hoi An Ancient Town Quang Nam Vietnam?
The best attractions in Vietnam you must visit are:
- Ha Long Bay, Quang Ninh
- The Old Quarter, Hanoi
- Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Hanoi
- Cu Chi Tunnels, Ho Chi Minh City
- Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park, Quang Binh
- Imperial Citadel of Thang Long, Hanoi
- Ninh Binh Province, Ninh Binh
- Con Dao Islands, Ba Ria-Vung Tau
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!