Lauca National Park Chile World Biosphere Reserve
Lauca National Park Chile World Biosphere Reserve Summary
- Attraction: Lauca National Park
- Country: Chile
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Santiago
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Chilean Peso
- Nationality: Chilean
Lauca National Park Chile is home to a vast array of scenery, wildlife, and history that make it the perfect destination for any outdoor enthusiast. From its pristine alpine lakes to its impressive volcanoes, Lauca is one of the most spectacular natural attractions in the Andes.
The park’s high elevation has created a unique ecosystem, where various species of birds and animals thrive. It is also an excellent place to observe ancient archaeological sites, lush valleys, stunning sunsets, and its numerous snow-capped peaks. With so much to see and do, Lauca National Park guarantees an unforgettable adventure.
Tell Us About Lauca National Park Chile
Lauca National Park is a national park located in the Andes Mountains of northern Chile, in the Arica and Parinacota Region. It was founded as a National Monument in 1979 and declared a National Park in 1981. It protects a large part of the Mediterranean climate influenced Central Volcanic Zone of the Andes and contains a unique mixture of diverse habitats, including high altitude lakes and wetlands, high elevation steppe and montane desert, volcanoes, grasslands, scrubland, and glaciers.
It is home to a wide variety of plants and animals, including the vulnerable giant Andean condor. The major attractions are numerous glacial lakes and the Parinacota volcano which rises nearly 7,000 meters above sea level. The area is rich in native Aymara and Quechua culture and hosts popular stage races such as the annual Ultramarathon Race of the Birds.
What are the Things to do in Lauca National Park Chile?
Lauca National Park in the far north region of Chile is an amazing destination filled with natural beauty and a variety of activities that will make your trip memorable. It’s a stunning view of turquoise blue lakes, snow-capped volcanoes, and diverse wildlife.
- Hiking: Explore the variety of different trails that offers some breathtaking views of the national park. There are marked trails for various lengths and difficulty levels, so there is something for everyone. There is also the option for longer backcountry hikes which can be combined with camping for an even more immersive experience.
- Wildlife Spotting: Lauca National Park is home to a variety of wildlife species such as flamingos, vizcachas, and many more. Take a boat or 4×4 trip across the vast landscape and look out for some of these majestic animals. There is also a chance to spot some rare species that can only be found in this area.
- Horse Riding: Horse riding is a great way to explore Lauca National Park, around the beautiful lakes and up to the snow-capped volcanoes. If you’re an experienced rider, there are plenty of off-road trails to explore. For those learning, there are horse-riding lessons available.
- Camping: With its beautiful landscape, Lauca National Park is the perfect place to set up a campsite. There are designated camping sites, with amazing views of the surrounding volcanoes, where you can spend the night star gazing. Make sure to bring all of your camping supplies and be prepared for the cold nights in the high altitudes.
- Fishing: Fishing is one of the most popular activities in the national park, with a range of different fish species that you can catch, including trout and rainbow trout. All you’ll need is your fishing rods and a valid fishing permit from the Parque Nacional clinic.
These are just a few of the many things you can do in Lauca National Park. Whether you’re looking for adventure activities, wildlife spotting, or just relaxing with the amazing views, Lauca National Park has something for everyone.
What are the Best Foods at Lauca National Park Chile?
The best foods to try at Lauca National Park Chile include cuy (guinea pig), llama, guanaco and alpaca, which are all greater Andean plateaus specialties. Potatoes are also grown in abundance, making dishes like papa a la huancaina a local favorite. Dishes made with quinoa, another Andean staple, are also popular.
Pilar and humita are common dishes prepared with corn and local herbs. Many restaurants also offer delicious seafood dishes using ingredients caught along the nearby coast. Other popular cuisine includes anticuchos (grilled beef heart skewers) and faina, a local take on pizza. With a variety of flavors for every taste, there is something for everyone to enjoy at Lauca National Park.
Lauca National Park, located in northern Chile, is home to some of the most diverse and delicious foods in the world. This magical park is known for its wild salmon, which can be grilled over an open fire. Another favorite dish is trout, which pairs beautifully with some roasted vegetables like potatoes and onions. There are also some traditional Chilean meat pies called ’empanadas’, which offer a savory taste that pairs well with a chorizo and cheese dip.
Vegetarians can indulge in quinoa, which is a superfood with plenty of vitamins and minerals. Fruits like mangos and apples are also plentiful and can be infused with honey and spices to create a refreshing sweet treat. In conclusion, Lauca National Park offers a variety of foods that appeal to all tastes.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Lauca National Park Chile?
The best hotels to stay in Lauca National Park Chile are:
- Las Cuevas de Mojocoya Hotel & Lodge, Chile
- Hotel Carretera 14, Chile
- Park Adventure Lodge & Spa, Chile
- Horcones Paradise Hostería, Chile
- La Casa del Desierto Cabanas & Spa, Chile
- Altos de Parinacota, Chile
- Tambo Arua, Chile
- Lauca National Park Lodge, Chile
- Hotel Illampu, Chile
- Tanquetrá Hotel & Spa, Chile
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Santiago is one of the most fantastic places to visit in Chile. Scroll down and click the button for more information.