Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya Safari Destination
The Masai Mara National Reserve is an iconic safari destination in Kenya renowned for its exceptional wildlife viewing opportunities. Experience the breathtaking beauty of the savannah, teeming with lions, elephants, cheetahs, buffaloes, and countless other species of animals. Enjoy game drives, balloon safaris, bird-watching, and so much more at this treasured African wildlife haven.
Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya Safari Destination Summary
- Attraction Name: Masai Mara National Reserve
- Country: Kenya
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Nairobi
- Language: Swahili, English
- Currency: Kenyan Shilling
- Nationality: Kenyan
Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya is one of the most renowned wildlife parks in Africa and is essential for any wildlife enthusiast to visit due to its incredibly diverse array of animals and incredible landscapes. It is considered the “jewel of Kenya’s wildlife viewing areas” and offers some of the best game drives in the world for experiencing the Big 5: lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, and buffalo.
Additionally, the abundance of other large mammals, including hippos, cheetahs, giraffe, and wildebeest, make it an exceptional place for wildlife photography and to witness the incredible circle of life. Plus, its jaw-dropping sunsets, scenic bushland and Maasai culture make it a unique highlight of the land of endless discovery.
Tell us about Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya
Masai Mara National Reserve is one of the most famous and beloved places in Kenya. It is located in southwestern Kenya, and forms part of the larger Mara-Serengeti Ecosystem. The Masai Mara is home to an astonishing variety of wildlife, including lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, wildebeest, zebras, giraffes, antelopes, and other animals. Visitors can take part in game drives and see these amazing animals up close.
Additionally, the Masai Mara is a great place to observe African birds, as the reserve is home to more than 500 species. The Great Migration, a spectacular phenomenon that occurs each year from July to October and involves the movement of over two million wildebeest and zebra, is one of the most awe-inspiring sights visitors can experience in the Masai Mara.
What are the things to do in Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya?
The Masai Mara National Reserve is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kenya. Situated in the south-western corner of the country, this large game reserve is known for its exceptional wildlife and its breathtaking landscape. Here are some of the things you can do when you visit this unique park.
- Enjoy a game drive: The Masai Mara is home to a wide variety of animals, including the ‘big five’ (lions, elephants, buffaloes, leopards and rhinos). During the day you can enjoy a game drive and observe the animals in their natural environment. Many game reserves also offer night game drives for those who want to experience best nocturnal wildlife.
- Visit a Maasai village: As part of your visit, you can also go on a guided tour of a Maasai Village. Here you will learn about the culture and daily life of the Maasai people who call the area home.
- Hot air balloon ride: For an unforgettable experience, take a hot air balloon ride through the game reserve. This will give you a unique view of the reserve and its many animals as you drift silently across the sky.
- Hiking: Several trails stretch out from the reserve, so you can get up close to the animals and enjoy the spectacular landscapes. The trekking routes at Masai Mara National Reserve are generally divided according to your skill level and fitness so you can choose the route that is perfect for you.
- Fishing: You can also enjoy some fishing on nearby rivers or take a boat trip for something a little different. There are plenty of opportunities to catch fish such as tilapia, catfish and barbell.
Whether you come for the wildlife or simply to relax, the Masai Mara National Reserve is sure to be an unforgettable experience. With its abundance of animals, stunning scenery and unique culture, it is sure to be a highlight of your trip to Kenya.
What are the best foods at Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya?
The best foods to try at Masai Mara National Reserve are:
- Grilled wilderness game: From roasted buffalo to succulent venison to kudu, the stick-fire grilled proteins are essential for a full Masai Mara experience.
- Uji (maize porridge): A staple of the Maasai diet, this basic dish is served with milk and sugar for a comforting breakfast or snack.
- Ndara (Maasai stew): This hearty stew of maize, tomatoes, onions and pulses is cooked slowly and served with milk and sour milk.
- Roasted maize: Roasted maize is a popular snack among the Masai. Enjoy it with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.
- Kuku wa kienyeji: This succulent chicken dish is native to the Masai Mara and features a mix of spices and herbs.
- Local fruits and vegetables: The region has an abundance of local fruits and vegetables, plenty of which make for a delicious snack.
- Kachumbari (Maasai salad): This fresh salad is made up of tomatoes, onion and coriander and is the perfect accompaniment to a rich game meal.
What are the best hotels to stay in Masai Mara National Reserve Kenya?
The best hotels to stay in Masai Mara National Reserve are:
- Kichwa Tembo Tented Camp
- Mara Safari Club
- Governors’ Il Moran Camp
- Kicheche Bush Camp
- Asilia Africa’s Shine Dam Narok Camp
- AA Lodge Mara
- Fairmont Mara Safari Club
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge
- Olonana Camp
- Bateleur Camp
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Kenya you must visit are:
- Masai Mara National Reserve
- Amboseli National Park
- Lamu Island
- Mount Kenya
- Samburu National Reserve
- Hell’s Gate National Park
- Malindi Marine National Park
- Kakamega Forest
- Diani Beach
- Lake Nakuru National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!