Paraguay Best South America Countries to Visit
Paraguay is a South American country bordered by Argentina, Brazil, and Bolivia. It’s a landlocked nation known for its untouched nature, with grassy plains (known as the Chaco) and subtropical forests. The country is home to breathtaking waterfalls and to the majestic Iguazú Falls, which shares equally large sections in Paraguay, Brazil, and Argentina. Among its cities, Asunción stands out for its colonial history and cultural heritage.
Paraguay Best South America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Paraguay
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Asunción
- Language: Spanish and Guaraní
- Currency: Paraguayan Guarani PYG
- Nationality: Paraguayan
A brief description of Paraguay
Paraguay is a landlocked country located in central South America, with an area almost three times the size of the US State of Massachusetts. It features various topographical features including low plains, rolling hills, and a wealth of rivers and waterways. Paraguay is home to over 6.8 million people and is the second least-populous country in South America, after Uruguay. The main economic activities include agriculture, livestock, forestry, and fishing.
The country is known for its strong adherence to traditional culture, language and folklore, with more than 90 percent of its population speaking the official language of Spanish. It is a land of vast environmental diversity and its biodiversity is one of the highest in the continent. There are a number of national parks and reserves, including the riverside Iguazu National Park, the San Rafael National Park, and the majestic plains of Chaco National Park.
What are the Things to do in Paraguay?
There are many things to do in Paraguay as listed below:
- Visit the Jesuit-Guaraní Missions – Visit the ruins of the 30 Jesuit-Guaraní, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Iguaçu Falls – View Iguaçu Falls that straddle the borders of Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay.
- Relax at Lake Ypacarai – Enjoy the beauty of the lake and take a romantic stroll along the lake promenade.
- Explore Asuncion’s Museums – Visit the National Art Museum, National Ethnographic Historical Museum, or Areguá Museum of History.
- Hike & Camp in the Chaco Forests – Explore the vast area of wildlands, home to many rare species of plants and animals.
- Shop at San Bernardino Marketplace – Get unique souvenirs or try some Paraguayan street food at the city’s popular market.
- Raft the Paraná River – Enjoy a thrilling whitewater rafting experience on the largest river in South America.
- Enjoy an Overnight Boat Tour – The two-day tour of Parana’s rivers takes you to remote islands and ecological reserves.
- Visit the Itaipu Dam – Explore the largest hydro-electric facility in the world, located on the border of Paraguay and Brazil.
- Experience the Paraguayan Carnivals – Witness and enjoy the colorful festivities that take place during February throughout the country.
What are the Best Foods at Paraguay?
Some of the best foods to eat in Paraguay include:
- Chipa: This traditional cheese bread is a staple snack that is incredibly popular in here.
- Sopa Paraguaya: This delicious cornbread-like dish is a Paraguayan twist on traditional cornbread.
- Bori-bori: This dish consists of hearty pork or beef served with vegetables and yuca or manioc flour.
- Mbaipy Diopy: This is a tasty stew made up of dried beef, garlic, hot peppers, corn, onions, and tomatoes.
- Ají Molido: This spicy condiment is typically served with Chipa and Breaded Steak.
- Mandi’o: This savory fried rice dish is prepared with sweet potato, green onion, garlic, and beef or pork.
- Asado: Asado is a traditional Paraguayan barbecue, with beef, pork, sausages, black pudding, and more.
- Sopa de Mani: This savory soup is made with green peppers, onions, potatoes, and manioc flour.
- Chipá Avatí: This deep-fried pastry is filled with cheese, onions, and corn.
- Dulce de leche: This traditional treat is avocado-based and typically topped with cream.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Paraguay?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Paraguay. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- La Margarita Hotel & Spa, Asuncion
- Bourbon Internacional Hotel & Casino, Asuncion
- Resort Yvytu Ita, San Rafael National Park
- Paramount Hotel, San Bernardino
- Crowne Plaza Asuncion, Asuncion
- San Marino Hotel, Asuncion
- Colonial Hotel, Encarnacion
- Yacht & Tower Hotel, Encarnacion
- Swiss Hotel, Asuncion
- Hotel y Cabanas Campo Alegre, San Bernardino
Best Attractions in Paraguay
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Paraguay.
No posts found!
The best cities that you must visit in Paraguay are Asuncion, Ciudad del Este, Encarnacion, San Bernardino, Ciudad del Nino, Puerto Casado, Pilar, Pedro Juan Caballero, Pueblo Lopori and Filadelfia.
The best attractions in Paraguay you must visit are:
- Jesús de Tavarangue National Park
- Pantanal de Bajo Chaco National Park
- San Bernardino
- Salto del Monday Waterfall
- Porto Alegre del Altiplano
- Asuncion, the capital
- San Ignacio Guazu Ruins
- Chaco National Park
- Rincon de Chololo Archaeological Park
The best destinations you must visit in Paraguay are San Rafael National Park, Cerro Cora National Park, Lake Ypacaraí, Ciudad del Este, Jesuit Missions of La Santísima Trinidad de Paraná and Jesús de Tavarangue, Cerro Miraflores in Puerto Sajonia, Paseo Caballero, Paraguayan-Brazilian bridge, Itaipu Dam and National Art Museum.