Portugal Best European Countries to Visit
Portugal is a beautiful Southern European country situated along the western coast of the Iberian Peninsula. Known for its breathtaking beaches and historic cities, this country is the perfect destination for a relaxing holiday or an exciting adventure! With a Mediterranean climate, rolling hills, and picturesque villages, a must-see for any traveler.
Portugal Best European Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Portugal
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Lisbon
- Language: Portuguese (official)
- Currency: the EURO
- Nationality: Portuguese
A brief description of Portugal
Portugal is a country located in Southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula. It is bordered by Spain to the north and east and by the Atlantic Ocean to the south and west. The country has a rich history and culture, diverse landscapes, and a thriving economy. Portugal is known for its iconic port wine, its beautiful beaches, and its stunning architecture. It is home to many UNESCO World Heritage sites, including historic cities and villages, religious monuments, and cultural attractions.
What are the Things to do in Portugal?
There are many things to do in Portugal as listed below:
- Take a look around Lisbon: Explore the history and beauty of Lisbon captivating capital.
- Pay a visit to the Algarve: Relax on the beaches, take a boat tour along the gorgeous coastline, and explore the old towns.
- Visit the iconic Jerónimos Monastery: See the UNESCO World Heritage site which was constructed in the Age of Discoveries.
- Go island-hopping: Visit the volcanic archipelago of the Azores, the stunning islands of Madeira, and much more.
- Spend some time in Porto: Admire the stunning landscapes and admire the Gothic and baroque architecture.
- Visit Sagres: Get lost in one of the most stunning coastal areas in Portugal.
- Go wine tasting: Sample some of the best wines in Portugal, from the Douro Valley to the famous Vinho Verde.
- Explore Óbidos: Enjoy medieval streets, a castle, and artisan shops in an old hilltop town.
- Take a river tour in the Douro Valley: Admire the spectacular landscape from the boat.
- Visit the ancient tombs of Évora: Explore the walls of a Roman necropolis dating back 2,000 years.
- Cruise the Tagus River: Enjoy stunning views of Lisbon from the river.
- Visit Estoril: Enjoy the vibrant coastline between Lisbon and Sintra.
- Visit charming Sintra: Explore the area’s top attractions, including the historic region and its hilltop palace.
- Explore historical Coimbra: Take in the city’s university and its famed library, home to one of the oldest books in the world.
What are the Best Foods at Portugal?
For a food hunter out there, Portugal has many best foods as listed below:
- Bacalhau (Salted Cod): Salted cod is considered Portugal’s national dish and can be found in many different forms throughout the country. It is typically served with boiled potatoes and shredded egg, and sometimes with olives, tomato, and onion.
- Cozido à Portuguesa (Portuguese Stew): This Portuguese stew is usually made with various cuts of pork, beef, and chicken. It is also cooked with several kinds of vegetables, such as carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and kale.
- Pastel de Nata (Portuguese Custard Tarts): These delicate tarts are a must-try dessert here in Portugal. They are made with a custard-like filling, which is enclosed in a buttery, flaky pastry crust.
- Sopas de Peixe (Fish Soup): This traditional dish is prepared with a variety of fresh fish, vegetables, herbs, and spices. This soup is typically served with slices of toasted bread.
- Arroz de Marisco (Seafood Rice): An extremely popular dish all over Portugal, this seafood rice is made with fresh shrimp and a variety of other seafood, all cooked in a rich sauce.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Portugal?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Portugal. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- Six Senses Douro Valley, Lamego
- Tivoli Palácio de Seteais, Sintra
- The Yeatman, Porto
- Hotel Dom Pedro Palace, Lisbon
- Conrad Algarve, Quinta do Lago
- Vivenda Miranda, Algarve
- Pousada Palácio de Estoi, Faro
- Bela Vista Hotel & Spa, Portimao
- Alto Lino Copper Coast Hotel, Póvoa de Varzim
- Melia Braga Hotel & Spa, Braga
Best Attractions in Portugal
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Portugal.
No posts found!
Hashtag / Keywords
What are 10 best destinations in Portugal you must visit?
The best destinations you must visit in Portugal are Lisbon, Porto, Algarve, Sintra, Isle of Madeira, Azores, Évora, Coimbra, Douro Valley and Guimarães.
What 10 best attractions in Portugal you must visit?
The best attractions in Portugal you must visit are:
- Sintra National Palace
- Belém Tower
- Obidos Castle
- Douro Valley
- Algarve Coast
- Convent of Christ in Tomar
- Mafra National Palace
- Porto Old Town
- Jerónimos Monastery
- Lisbon Oceanarium
What are 5 best cities in Portugal you must visit?
The best cities you must visit in Portugal are Lisbon, Porto, Sintra, Coimbra and Madeira.