Selous Game Reserve Tanzania Wildlife Big Five
Selous Game Reserve Tanzania Wildlife Big Five Summary
- Attraction Name: Selous Game Reserve
- Country: Tanzania
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Dodoma
- Language: Swahili and English (de facto)
- Currency: Tanzanian Shilling
- Nationality: Tanzanian
Selous Game Reserve is one of the best places to see African wildlife in its natural environment. It is Tanzania’s largest protected area and one of the largest in Africa, covering more than 54,600 square kilometers. The reserve is an important habitat for the critically endangered African wild dog and the last remaining viable populations of black rhinoceros in Tanzania.
It is also home to large populations of elephants, buffalo, hippos, crocodiles, lions, leopards, cheetahs, hyenas, antelopes, and other species. With its vast size, untamed wilderness, and diverse array of wildlife, Selous Game Reserve is an ideal destination for an African safari.
Tell us about Selous Game Reserve Tanzania
The Selous Game Reserve is one of Tanzania’s oldest and largest game reserves. It covers an area of nearly 54,600 square kilometers and is home to an incredible variety of wildlife and bird species. The landscape is diverse, containing wide-open plains and bushland, scrubland, forests, rivers and lakes. It is one of the few places left in Africa where wildlife can roam and interact relatively undisturbed. Perhaps the most famous wildlife here is the African wild dog which is a critically endangered species.
Also frequently seen here are African buffalo, elephants, giraffes, hippos, antelope, and lions. Birdwatchers can find many interesting species such as pelicans, bee-eaters, African skimmers, and hornbills. Furthermore, the Selous Game Reserve is part of the proposed Selous-Niassa Conservation Area, which will create a continuous protected area of almost 200,000 square kilometers of unspoiled wilderness in Tanzania, Mozambique and Malawi.
What are the things to do in Selous Game Reserve Tanzania?
Selous Game Reserve is located in Tanzania and is one of Africa’s largest and oldest game reserves, home to numerous species of wildlife. The Selous is an ideal destination for those seeking a safari adventure. There is a variety of activities available in the reserve that the visitors can enjoy.
- Game viewing and walking safaris – Visitors can explore the plains and rivers of the Selous by jeep and foot, spotting hippos, elephants, lions, hyenas, wild dogs, antelopes and many other species of wildlife. They can also witness incredible bird life, including thousands of migrating flamingoes, pelicans and other aquatic birds.
- Boat Safaris – Boat safaris through the Rufiji River offer an up-close view of the incredible wildlife and scenery in the Selous Game Reserve. Watching crocodiles, hippos and elephants from the boat, spotting fish eagles, herons and many other birds, and admiring the panoramic views of the reserve provide the visitors with an unforgettable experience.
- Fishing – The Rufiji River with its abundance of fish offers great opportunities for fishing enthusiasts. Fishing from a boat or standing in the middle of the river while savouring nature’s beauty is the ultimate way to relax in the wild.
- Photography – Photographers can take advantage of the stunning wilderness and rich wildlife, capturing unforgettable images of the animals and scenery in the Selous.
- Hot air balloon flights – Hot air balloon flights over the Selous provide a unique opportunity for visitors to witness the breathtaking views of the reserve from a completely different perspective. Flights are organized in the early mornings, so visitors can spend the day exploring the park on foot, by boat or vehicle.
Selous Game Reserve offers the unique opportunity to experience Tanzania’s wilderness in its purest form. The sheer abundance of wildlife, the diverse landscapes and activities, the perfect combination of adventure and relaxation make the Selous a paradise for wildlife and nature lovers.
What are the best foods at Selous Game Reserve Tanzania?
The best foods at Selous Game Reserve are:
- Traditional Tanzanian dishes such as Nyama Choma (barbequed game meat), Pilau (spicy rice dish), Githeri (vegetable and bean stew), Irio (mashed potatoes, corn and peas).
- Fresh seasonal fruits such as melons, mangoes, coconuts and bananas.
- Traditional Swahili meals including fish, coconut beef and spicy sauces.
- Seafood dishes including lobster, prawns and calamari.
- Tusker beer, one of the most popular brands of beer in Tanzania.
- African delicacies such as sago worms, smoked caterpillars and nuts.
- Grilled game meats such as impala, antelope, buffalo and kudu.
- Traditional African spiced teas and coffees.
What are the best hotels to stay in Selous Game Reserve Tanzania?
The best hotels to stay in Selous Game Reserve are:
- Impala Camp
- Siwandu Camp
- Mbega Camp
- Selous Safari Camp
- Jongomero Camp
- Rufiji River Camp
- Selous River Camp
- Sand Rivers
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Tanzania you must visit are:
- Serengeti National Park
- Mount Kilimanjaro
- Ngorongoro Crater
- Mahale Mountains National Park
- Gombe Stream National Park
- Olduvai Gorge
- Mt. Meru
- Lake Manyara National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!