Skeleton Coast Namibia Earth's Stunning Landscapes
Skeleton Coast Namibia Earth's Stunning Landscapes Summary
- Attraction Name: Skeleton Coast Namibia
- Country: Namibia
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Windhoek
- Language: English
- Currency: Namibia dollar (symbol: N$; code: NAD)
- Nationality: Namibian
The Skeleton Coast of Namibia is renowned for its isolated beauty and rugged, desolate coastline. It’s an ideal place to explore the raw, wild side of Namibia and its unique wildlife. Whether you’re searching for an adventure in the desert dunes, swimming in the icy Atlantic Ocean, or taking a unique game drive, the coast provides plenty of opportunities for you to create an unforgettable experience.
Tell us about Skeleton Coast Namibia
The Skeleton Coast is a 1000 km long stretch of desert coast located in Namibia, stretching from the Kunene River to the Orange River. It is one of Namibia’s most extreme landscapes, with its numerous ship wrecks and treacherous sand dunes, it has also earned the nickname “The Land God Made In Anger”.
The Skeleton Coast is mostly sparsely populated, with only a few small towns and settlements residing at the Kunene River. It is home to the Namib-Naukluft National Park, one of the largest protected areas in Africa, and is known for its remarkable wildlife and unique desert terrain. Along the coastline and towards the dunes, you will find barren stretches of beach and an abundance of desert-adapted wildlife, such as springbok, oryx, hyenas, jackals, and vultures.
The coast is a remote and relatively untouched area, offering a rare and exclusive experience for adventure seekers and nature lovers alike. It’s incredibly picturesque and peaceful — the perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life. Whether you are looking for a memorable and thrilling safari, a beach getaway, or some whimsical exploration, the Skeleton Coast Namibia is sure to provide a truly unique and unforgettable experience.
What are the things to do in Skeleton Coast Namibia?
The Skeleton Coast, located in Namibia, is an inhospitable stretch of dunes, coral reefs, and otherworldly landscapes that stretch along the Atlantic Ocean. Because of its extreme weather and dangerous terrain, the coast is one of the least-visited regions in Namibia. However, visitors who brave the elements will experience a vast and diverse landscape home to multiple species of mammals, birds, reptiles, and more. Here are some activities that you can do when visiting the Skeleton Coast:
- Wildlife Watching: The Skeleton Coast offers excellent opportunities for wildlife enthusiasts. This region is home to an impressive variety of animals, including lions, leopards, giraffes, black rhinos, and the rare desert elephant. From the vast Atlantic coastal beaches to the dry riverbeds of the Namib Desert, wildlife watching is a great way to experience the beauty of this unique region.
- Desert Walking: The Skeleton Coast is home to some of the oldest and driest deserts on the planet. This region is an ideal destination for hikers and adventurers looking to explore this otherworldly landscape. Experienced guides will take you on guided desert walks and reveal fun facts about the local wildlife and plants.
- Sandboarding: Take advantage of the dunes and go sandboarding! Sandboarding at the Skeleton Coast is a thrilling activity that provides a unique perspective of the Atlantic coastline and vast dune fields.
- Hot Air Ballooning: The Skeleton Coast is the perfect place for a hot air balloon ride. From the air, you can see the thousands of massive red sand dunes stretching down to the sea. This is a fantastic way to experience the breathtaking beauty of the Namib Desert.
- Boat Tours: The Skeleton Coast offers a variety of boat tours. You can visit some of the isolated islands that are home to unique species of birds and other wildlife as well as visit fishing villages and explore the coastline by boat.
The Skeleton Coast offers visitors a unique opportunity to explore the vast desert and travel to one of the most stunning regions in Namibia. There are plenty of activities to be enjoyed when visiting this remote region, from wildlife watching to getting a bird’s-eye view of the breathtaking landscape during a hot air balloon ride.
What are the best foods at Skeleton Coast Namibia?
The best foods at Skeleton Coast include the Moroccan style roast chicken, Baja Fish Tacos, Caribbean Jerk Skewers, Grilled Prawns, Mediterranean Lamb Salad, Smoked Salmon Tacos, and Churrasco Flatbread.
Some of the best foods include their signature burrito, chicken tacos, torta sandwich, nachos, and quesadillas.
What are the best hotels to stay in Skeleton Coast Namibia?
The best hotels to stay in Skeleton Coast are:
- Skeleton Coast Camp
- Torra Bay
- Mowani Mountain Camp
- Doro !Nawas
- Shipwreck Lodge
- Skeleton Coast Adventure Camp
- Hoanib Valley Camp
- Vilanculos Beach Lodge
- Pelican Point Lodge
- Sossus Dune Camp
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Namibia you must visit are:
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Caprivi Strip
- Twyfelfontein Rock Art Sites
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!