The Forbidden City Beijing China UNESCO Site
The Forbidden City in Beijing, China, was once the imperial residence of the Chinese emperors. Built during the Ming Dynasty, the complex has 980 buildings, 8,707 bays of rooms, and covers 72 hectares of land. It has numerous pavilions, halls, gates, and courtyards, which have awe-inspiring architecture and exquisite decoration. It is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, considered a significant example of traditional Chinese art, culture, and architecture.
The Forbidden City Beijing China UNESCO Site Summary
- Attraction Name: The Forbidden City Beijing
- Country: China
- Continent: Asia
- Capital Name: Beijing
- Language: Mandarin
- Currency: Chinese Yuan
- Nationality: Chinese
The Forbidden City in Beijing is an incredible symbol of Chinese culture and history. The Forbidden City was the Chinese imperial palace from the Ming Dynasty to the end of the Qing Dynasty, serving as the home of 24 emperors over nearly five centuries. It is the largest and best–preserved ancient palace complex in the world and is a prime destination for tourists and scholars from around the world. Visiting The Forbidden City is an opportunity to explore Chinese culture and history in a unique and tangible way.
Tell us about The Forbidden City Beijing China
The Forbidden City, also known as the Palace Museum, is the world’s largest and most complete ancient imperial palace complex located in Beijing, China. It served as the political and ceremonial center of the Chinese government for almost five centuries, and was the home of 24 emperors of the Ming and Qing Dynasties. The Forbidden City consists of 980 surviving buildings with 8,707 bays of rooms and covers an area of 720,000 square meters (178 acres). It is surrounded by a six-meter-deep moat and listed by UNESCO as World Cultural Heritage Site in 1987.
The Forbidden City contains many unique and significant cultural and architectural elements that draw tourists from all over the world. It has a vast collection of ancient treasures and is an architectural pearl of ancient China. Its vast array of gardens, ancient monuments, and luxurious palace buildings are remarkable to this day. Tourists can also visit the various exhibition halls, paying homage to the Ming and Qing Dynasty’s splendor and the culture of Imperial China.
What are the things to do in The Forbidden City Beijing China?
The Forbidden City Beijing is an iconic historical landmark and tourist attraction that is known as the world’s largest palace complex. Located in the heart of Beijing, it was originally built in the 15th century and served as the home of China’s emperors and their families for nearly 500 years. It is particularly famous for its countless palaces, temples, mosques, gardens, and museums, which offer a glimpse into the history and culture of China’s past. Visiting here requires a bit of planning and effort; here are some of the things to do in the Forbidden City Beijing:
- Explore the Forbidden City: Don’t miss the chance to explore the city, which is one of the best-preserved palatial complexes in the world. It is home to more than 8,000 ancient structures and palaces, surrounded by magnificent gardens and courtyards. It also includes important historic buildings such as the Hall of Supreme Harmony, the Meridian Gate, and the Palace of Heavenly Purity.
- Visit the World Culture Heritage Site: Get lost in the most renowned historic sites in the world and explore this place, which is the most important part of the World Cultural Heritage site. The golden-roofed buildings inside the imperial palace are examples of Chinese imperial architecture and offer breathtaking views.
- Shop at the Imperial City Market: Visit the Imperial City Market to shop for genuine Chinese souvenirs as well as a variety of local specialties such as handicrafts, snacks, and more.
- Watch a Kunqu Opera Performance: Kunqu is a form of Chinese opera that has been performed since the 17th century and it is still performed today in select venues around Beijing. See a Kunqu performance and be sure to get dressed up the part!
- Tour Seasonal Festivals and Events: Experience the culture and take part in seasonal festivals such as the spring Lantern Festival and the winter Moon Festival. You can also check out the Chang’an Avenue Music Festival and listen to traditional Chinese music performed by local and international artists.
These are just a few of the many things to do in the Forbidden City Beijing. Visit this amazing landmark and plan your itinerary in advance to make the most of your experience.
What are the best foods at The Forbidden City Beijing China?
The Forbidden City Beijing offers a wide variety of delicious traditional Chinese cuisine. Some of the most popular and highly recommended dishes include:
- Peking duck, which is served with traditional hoisin sauce, sliced green onion, garlic sauce and steamed buns.
- Hot and sour soup, which is perfect for anyone wanting a spicier dish.
- Vegetarian fried noodles, which come with a variety of vegetables and mushrooms.
- Dim Sum platters, which can be served for breakfast or lunch.
- Stir-fried eggplant in garlic sauce, which is a delicious vegan dish.
- Crispy Pork with Caramelized Shallots, a dish that is both sweet and savoury.
- For those looking for something sweet, the Coconut Meringues and the Chestnut with Black Sesame Cake are both crowd pleasers.
You will have an unforgettable meal at The Forbidden City Beijing!
What are the best hotels to stay in The Forbidden City Beijing China?
The best hotels to stay in The Forbidden City Beijing are:
- Beijing Hotel – This 5-star hotel is centrally located close to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. It offers luxurious accommodations and amenities, including 24-hour room service, a fitness center, indoor pool, spa, and sauna.
- Hilton Beijing – Located just a few minutes away from the Forbidden City, the 5-star Hilton Beijing offers deluxe accommodations and features a fitness center, pool, internet access, and a variety of restaurants.
- Fairmont Beijing – Combining modern luxury with traditional Chinese design, this 5-star hotel offers magnificent views of the Forbidden City and is situated in the heart of Beijing. Amenities include a fitness center, indoor pool, and spa.
- Regent Beijing – This 5-star hotel offers superb amenities and is located just moments away from the Forbidden City. Guests can enjoy a fitness center, spa, indoor pool, and a variety of restaurants and bars.
- Sofitel Wanda Beijing – Located close to the Forbidden City, the Sofitel Wanda Beijing is a luxurious 5-star hotel featuring modern rooms and suites, a fitness center, and a variety of restaurants and bars.
What is the next tourist destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!