Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal
The Convent of Christ in Tomar, Portugal, is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Built in the 12th century, it was originally a Templar stronghold before becoming a convent. Over the centuries, it has been modified and expanded and now stands as a monument to Portugal’s fascinating and turbulent history. Its ornate Manueline architecture and ornamental sculpture are a sight to behold, and it’s a must-see for anyone visiting the region.
Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal Summary
- Attraction: Convent of Christ in Tomar
- Country: Portugal
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Lisbon
- Language: Portuguese (official)
- Currency: the EURO
- Nationality: Portuguese
The Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal is one of the most important and impressive historical monuments in Europe. The fortified medieval monastery was built in the 12th century by the Order of the Templars and was used as the headquarters for the Order’s activities in Portugal.
The convent is a stunning example of medieval religious architecture and an important piece of Portugal’s cultural heritage. It also offers beautiful gardens, a museum, and a public access viewpoint, as well as a church, several chapels, and cloisters. A visit to this incredible place is a must when exploring Portugal.
Tell Us About Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal
The Convent of Christ in Tomar, Portugal, is a World Heritage Site and one of the most outstanding examples of the Manueline style of architecture. Built in the 12th century, the monastery has a long and complex history, with a number of changes made to the building over the centuries. It was originally constructed as a Templar stronghold, but in the 16th century, it was taken over by the Jesuit order, who added various decorations and features to the building.
Inside the building, visitors can explore a number of chapels and other rooms, including a dormitory, refectory, and abbot’s quarters. There is also an impressive six-storey rotunda known as the Clock Tower, as well as a cloister that features intricately carved stone figures. Visitors can also explore the many artworks, sculptures, and other artifacts from the monastery’s long history.
What Things to do in Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal?
Things to do in Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal are:
- Tour through the Monastery of the Knights Templar: The Monastery of the Knights Templar was founded in 1160, making it one of the oldest and most important Templar sites in the world. Visitors will explore the history and architecture of this ancient monastery during this interactive tour.
- Visit the Aqueduct: Admire one of the most important landmarks of Tomar, the Aqueduct of Pegões, built in 1571 by Francisco de Arruda. Spanning approximately 2 km (1.2 miles), this magnificent piece of masonry is one of the most photographed sites in Tomar.
- Explore the Synagogue: The Synagogue of Tomar is one of the best-preserved synagogues in Portugal and the oldest synagogue still in use in the Iberian Peninsula. Dating back to the 15th century, this building is now a museum where visitors can learn more about the local Jewish community.
- Observe the Charola: Take a tour of the Charola, a 12-sided rotunda which stands at the heart of the tombs. Inside, visitors can admire and learn more about the stained glass windows, grand staircase and other architectural elements of this sacred space.
- Take in the Views: Climb up the spiral staircase of the Tower of the 30 and take in the breathtaking views of Tomar and the lush green landscape that surrounds it. The tower was once used as an observatory for military and astronomical purposes.
- Go for a Stroll: Stroll through the peaceful gardens at the Convent of Christ, and admire the various plants, trees, and water features that occupy this tranquil setting. The gardens are also home to various sculptures and fountains.
- Visit the Churches of the Convent: Explore the churches of the Convent of Christ, including the Church of the Holy Trinity and the Church of the Wounded. Learn more about their intriguing history, rich architecture, and priceless artworks.
What are Best Foods at Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal?
Some of the best foods to try at the Convent of Christ in Tomar, Portugal include:
- Torta de Laranja: an orange cake filled with a layer of almond cream
- Santiago Frito: a fried pastry of eggs, codfish, garlic, and spices
- Carne de Porco à Alentejana: a traditional stew with pork and clams
- Açorda Alentejana: a soup made with bread, garlic, cilantro and sometimes poached eggs
- Caldeirada de Peixe: a fish stew which includes potatoes, onions and tomatoes
- Bifana de Porco: pork steaks, cooked in beer and served with bread
- Arroz de Pato: a dish of duck and rice
- Toucinho-do-Céu: a traditional dessert made with egg yolks, sugar, and almonds
What are Best Hotels to Stay in Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal?
The best hotels to stay in Convent of Christ in Tomar Portugal are:
- Quinta da Ermida Country Hotel & SPA
- The Passarola Boutique Hotel
- Solar do Templo
- Hotel Rural Convento do Espinheiro
- Parador de Tomar
- Dolce Campo Real Tomar
- Quinta do Convento
- The Vintage House – Monument Hotel
- Vila Galé Santa Iria
- Hotel Do Templo
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Mafra National Palace is one of the most interesting places to visit in Portugal. Scroll down and click the button for more information.