Kinderdijk Netherlands UNESCO World Heritage Site
Kinderdijk is a village in the Netherlands, near the city of Rotterdam. It is known for its 19 windmills, which make it a popular tourist attraction, and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The windmills date back to the 18th century and are still in full working order, grinding polder water and draining the surrounding land.
Kinderdijk Netherlands Summary
- Attraction: Kinderdijk
- Country: Netherlands
- Continent: Europe
- Capital Name: Amsterdam
- Language: Dutch (official)
- Currency: Euro
- Nationality: Dutch
Kinderdijk is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Dutch history and culture. The area is home to 19 enormous windmills and the surrounding landscape, which have become famous for their idyllic beauty. Its UNESCO World Heritage Site status cemented Kinderdijk as one of the Netherlands’ most remarkable attractions. Visitors can explore the windmills, take pictures of the incredible scenery, learn about Dutch engineering history, take a tour of a traditional wooden Dutch barn, and even spend the night in a windmill.
Tell Us About Kinderdijk Netherlands
Kinderdijk is a small village in the Netherlands, located in the South Holland province, near Rotterdam. The village is most famous for its iconic windmills, which are part of the UNESCO World Heritage site known as the “Alblasserwaard polder area”. The village is also known for its traditional wooden buildings, many of which have been turned into tourist attractions. Some of the main tourist attractions here include the Museummolen, the 19 working windmills which can be seen along the village’s unique canals, and the Windmill Kinderdijk.
What Things to do in Kinderdijk Netherlands?
There are a lot of things to do in Kinderdijk Netherlands including:
- Explore the windmills: Visit Kinderijdk for a first-hand experience of the traditional Dutch windmills! Embark on a boat tour or go on a guided tour to explore the world’s largest concentration of windmills.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet: Spend some time wandering the streets of Kinderijdk to take in the tranquil atmosphere and admire the beauty of the windmills.
- Visit the museum: Learn about the history of the windmills and their uses at the Kinderijdk Windmill Museum.
- Go cycling: Make the most of the flat landscapes and the excellent network of cycling paths with a cycle ride around Kinderijdk.
- Take a boat tour: Enjoy panoramic views of the windmills from the water with a boat tour along the canals and rivers of the area.
- Walk the dykes: Appreciate the beauty of the Kinderdijk-Elshout UNESCO World Heritage Site with a walk around the dykes of the region.
- Have brunch: Enjoy a delicious brunch at one of the many cafes with beautiful views of the windmills.
- Take a cooking class: Learn how to prepare traditional Dutch dishes at a local cooking class.
What are Best Foods at Kinderdijk Netherlands?
The best foods at Kinderdijk Netherlands are:
- Dutch Pancakes (Pannenkoeken): Pannenkoeken are a Dutch speciality that are traditionally served with butter and syrup. They can also be topped with apple slices and bacon.
- Stroopwafels: Stroopwafels are traditional Dutch waffle cookies that are made from two wafer-thin layers of dough filled with caramel syrup.
- Stamppot Potatoes and Sausage: Stamppot is a traditional Dutch dish of mashed potatoes, smoked sausage, and vegetables. It’s a hearty and delicious dish that’s perfect for a cold winter day.
- Kibbeling: Kibbeling is a Dutch snack consisting of battered and deep-fried pieces of white fish. It’s typically served with a garlic mayonnaise dip.
- Dutch Cheese: Dutch cheeses are renowned the world over. Gouda and Edam are two of the most popular varieties. They’re firm and mild in flavour, perfect for snacking or adding to sandwiches.
What are Best Hotels to Stay in Kinderdijk Netherlands?
The best hotels to stay in Kinderdijk Netherlands are:
- Hotel Restaurant Horn by Riadtea
- 3 Sterren Hotel Wetering
- Royal Guesthouse
- Hostellerie De Betuwe
- Hotel de Watertoren
- Hotel Molenwaard
- Fletcher Hotel – Restaurant De Hamert, Krimpen aan den IJssel
- Bed & Breakfast Bovenkamer, Rotterdam
- Anno 1476, Klaaswaal
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Visit the best places in Holland because there are many tourist attractions here. Scroll down and click the button for more information.