Palenque Mexico Maya ruin in Chiapas
Palenque is an ancient Maya city located in present-day Mexico. It is known for its impressive architecture, including the Temple of the Inscriptions, the Temple of the Sun, and the Palace of the Cross-Eyed Jaguars. The city was the home of the Maya ruler, Pacal the Great. Today, Palenque is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular destination for visitors interested in exploring the rich history and culture of the Maya civilization.
Palenque Mexico Maya ruin in Chiapas Summary
- Attraction Name: Palenque Mexico
- Country: Mexico
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: Mexico City
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Mexican Peso
- Nationality: Mexican
Palenque Mexico is a fascinating archaeological site that offers insight into the unique culture and history of the ancient Maya civilization. Visitors will have the opportunity to explore the ruins of Palenque, a great city and ceremonial center that dates back to the third century CE.
The city was home to a large number of temples and pyramids, with the Temple of Inscriptions being the most impressive. Here, visitors can explore the amazing archaeological remains and explore the surrounding jungle and natural environment. Additionally, visitors can take part in guided tours to learn more about the culture, history and importance of this ancient site.
Tell Us About Palenque Mexico
Palenque is an ancient Mayan archaeological site located in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, in southern Mexico. The city was founded in the 7th century AD and had some of the most impressive and advanced engineering feats of the time. The city is made up of various plazas, temples and buildings, with an urban center built over a surrounding hilly area. This place was one of the most important Mayan cities and a former capital of the Palenque kingdom, a vassal state to the greater Mayan Empire.
It is most famously known for the Palace of Palenque, a sprawling complex of courtyards and plazas. Notable features include various hieroglyphic inscriptions, as well as stelae and sculptures. Several pyramids are also found at the site, which were likely used for ceremonial and ritual activities. Palenque became a World Heritage Site in 1987 and continues to attract tourists from around the world.
What are the Things to do in Palenque Mexico?
Things to do in Palenque Mexico are:
- Visit the Palenque Archaeological Site: Located in the northern state of Chiapas, Palenque is one of the most beautiful and historically significant Mayan archaeological sites in Mexico. Here, visitors can explore the ancient temple complexes, palaces and acropolis, marvel at the intricate sculptures and stucco designs, and even climb to the temple tops for amazing views of the surrounding jungle and mountains.
- Visit the Aqueduct of Palenque: Also known as the Agua Num ca, consists of a series of canals and bridges that supplied water to the city and nearby towns during the Mayan empire. Visitors to the site can learn about the advanced hydraulic engineering techniques used by the ancient Mayans, explore the ruins and appreciate the breathtaking views of the surrounding jungle.
- Climb to the Palace of the Twelve Suns: Situated atop a tall pyramid, the Palace of the Twelve Suns was an important ceremonial building at Palenque. Here, visitors can view the intricate Mayan sculptures and admire the amazing views of the surrounding jungle and mountains.
- Take a Jungle Tour: Palenque lies in the heart of some of the most beautiful and untamed jungles in the world. Here, you can explore the lush forests and spot colorful birds, butterflies, monkeys and other wildlife. Many tour operators offer various jungle excursions, including hiking, canopy tours and even rappelling.
- Visit the Museum of Mayan Architecture: Built near the ancient site of Palenque, the Museum of Mayan Architecture is a great place to learn more about the rich history and culture of the area. Exhibits at the museum include a full-scale model of a Mayan pyramid and a recreation of the ancient city of Palenque.
- Shop for Handicrafts at the Municipal Market: From traditional weavings to pottery, wood carvings and jewelry, visitors to Palenque can find a great selection of traditionally made handicrafts at the Municipal Market. Here, you can find unique souvenirs and sample local dishes from the many food stalls.
- Attend a Music Festival: Popular with locals and tourists alike, the annual Palenque Music Festival is held every January and includes bands and artists performing traditional Mayan music and dances.
- Go Bird Watching: Bird watching is becoming increasingly popular in here as the area is home to a number of rare birds such as the Groove-billed Ani and the Collared Aracari. The area is also a great place to spot other wildlife such as monkeys, anteaters, snakes and jaguars.
- Relax at the Hot Springs: Located just outside of Palenque, the Agua Azul Hot springs are a great way to relax after a long day of exploring the area. Here, visitors can take a dip in the soothing hot waters and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding jungle.
What are the Best Foods at Palenque Mexico?
The best foods at Palenque Mexico include things like local specialties like Cochinita Pibil and Tacos Al Pastor, as well as more familiar dishes like Sopa de Tortilla, Enfrijoladas, Pollo Asado, and Arroz con Pollo. Some of the most delicious desserts include the Oaxaca classic Tres Leches Cake, Plantains with Chocolate, and Flan de Coco. There are also plenty of seafood dishes to enjoy, such as the ever popular Fish Veracruz, the delectable Ceviche, and the comfort-food favorite Frijoles Refritos con Camarones.
However, the real secret is the local sauces, including the ubiquitous Salsa Roja, the fiery Habanero, and the super savory Mole. No matter what you choose, you’re sure to enjoy all the flavorful and authentic dishes at Palenque Mexico!
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Palenque Mexico?
The best hotels in Palenque Mexico are:
- MarSol Boutique Palenque: Offering exceptional service, a private pool, and luxurious air-conditioned rooms.
- Hotel Ciudad Real: Featuring a spa, pool, and restaurant, this hotel is located in the heart of the city.
- Hotel Villas Lacantún: Boasting an outdoor pool, spa and wellness center and a terrace lounge, this hotel is the ideal choice for relaxed getaways.
- Mayaland Hotel: Offering a variety of experiences, from exploring exotic jungle trails, to swimming in its pool or relaxing by the on-site restaurant, Mayaland is a great choice.
- Del Sol Hotel Palenque: This hotel offers exceptional service, spacious rooms, and an outdoor pool and garden.
- El Panchan: Featuring an outdoor pool and bar, this hotel is located near the city’s beautiful jungle trails and waterfalls.
- Hacienda Puerta Campeche: This stunning hotel is located in a former hacienda, boasting majestic interiors, a pool, and beautifully landscaped grounds.
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!