Venezuela Best South America Countries to Visit
Venezuela is an upper-middle-income country located in South America and is home to over 30 million people. It is bordered by Colombia, Guyana, and Brazil. Though the country is known for its vast oil reserves, it is problematic due to political unrest and economic hardship, including hyperinflation. The country has also been in conflict with both the United States and the European Union due to human rights violations.
It is home to the world’s largest proven oil reserves, and since 1999 has been governed by a socialist government led by President Nicolás Maduro. But the economic crisis of the past decade has led to rising levels of poverty, severe shortages of basic goods, and a growing number of Venezuelans fleeing the country in search of a better life.
Venezuela Best South America Countries to Visit Summary
- Country: Venezuela
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Caracas
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Venezuelan Bolívares VEF
- Nationality: Venezuelan
A brief description of Venezuela
Venezuela is a country located in the Northern part of South America. It is bordered by Colombia, Brazil and Guyana. Venezuela has diverse landscapes, including tropical rainforests, grasslands, mountains and rivers. Caracas is the capital city. The official language is Spanish and the currency is the bolivar. The country has the largest proven oil reserves in the world and is one of the most urbanized countries in South America. Despite the potential of its natural resources, Venezuela has struggled with high levels of poverty and political unrest in recent years.
What are the Things to do in Venezuela?
There are many things to do in Venezuela as listed below:
- Tour the Capital of Caracas – Caracas is Venezuela’s bustling capital city and home to some of the country’s most iconic landmarks, including the Cuartel de la Montaña, La Cabrera Research Station, and the Plaza Bolivar.
- Visit Margarita Island – Tour Margarita Island and its towns of Playa El Yaque and Play el Agua. Enjoy ultimate relaxation, white-sand beaches, and some of the best scuba diving in the Caribbean.
- Tour Angel Falls – Angel Falls, the world’s highest waterfall, is one of Venezuela’s more well-known attractions. Take the 3-day trek into the jungle of Canaima National Park to get the most out of this beautiful landscape.
- Go Birdwatching near Canaima – The area around Canaima National Park is a great place for bird watching. Learn about Venezuelan species like scarlet ibis and black-hooded ant-tanager.
- Explore Los Roques National Park – Los Roques is an archipelago of stunningly beautiful small islands with white-sand beaches, coral reefs, and crystal-clear waters perfect for snorkeling.
- Visit Merida’s Tovar Valley – The beautiful Tovar Valley in the southern state of Merida attracts outdoor adventurers who come to explore its Andean mountains, pine forests, and cloud forests.
- Indulge in Venezuelan Cuisine – Treat your taste buds to traditional Venezuelan dishes like arepa, empanadas, hallacas, and pabellon. Make sure to try some of the country’s flavorful tropical fruits, like papaya and passionfruit.
- Explore the Museums of Maracaibo – Maracaibo, the largest city in the state of Zulia, boasts impressive museums including the Museum of the Maracaibo Lake, the Altamira Museum, and the MARAKA Art Museum.
- Experience the Los Llanos Region – Tour the expansive wetlands region of Los Llanos, home to over 700 species of birds and other local wildlife. Enjoy activities like alligator/crocodile-spotting, boat rides, and jungle trekking.
- Visit the Parque Nacional Morrocoy – Take a break at the tranquil Parque Nacional Morrocoy. Explore this popular beach destination and its many scenic islands, dazzling beaches, and coral reefs.
What are the Best Foods at Venezuela?
Some of the best foods to eat in Venezuela include:
- Arepas: A classic Venezuelan snack, arepas are a type of cornmeal cake that can be filled with cheese, meats, poultry, or seafood.
- Cachapas: A favorite corn-based dish, cachapas are pancakes made from yellow or white corn, usually cooked with butter and stuffed with white cheese.
- Hallaca: A stuffed corn-based wrap filled with pork, beef, chicken, vegetables, and olives, hallaca is served during the holiday season and is one of the most popular Venezuelan dishes.
- Pabellón Criollo: The national dish of Venezuela, pabellón criollo is a combination of rice, beans, shredded beef, and plantains, served with a side of arepa or avocado.
- Tequeños: Tequeños are roll-like snacks made with queso blanco and stuffed with beef, ham, chicken, or fish served as an appetizer or snack.
- Empanadas: Deep-fried stuffed pastries with a variety of fillings from vegetables to seafood and cheese, empanadas make a great snack or appetizer.
- Asado Negro: Asado negro is a classic Venezuelan dish of beef slowly cooked in a black sauce and served with arepas, plantains, and other sides.
- Chicharrón: Crispy pork skins served up with chili sauce and a side of arepas, chicharrón is a popular snack throughout Venezuela.
- Patacón: A Venezuelan version of a fried sandwich, patacón is made with a patty of fried green plantains and a variety of fillings, such as cheese, ham, chicken, and tomato.
- Perico: An omelette type dish typically enjoyed for breakfast, perico consists of scrambled eggs, onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Venezuela?
Have a pleasant day when visiting Venezuela. Stay with the best hotels (as a reference):
- Conrad Isla Margarita Residences (Isla Margarita)
- Marriot Caracas Hotel (Caracas)
- Hotel Canaima (Canaima)
- Los Roques Splendid Resort (Los Roques)
- Maruma Hotel & Casino Resort (Maracaibo)
- Macanao Lodge (Los Roques)
- Hotel nh Galerías Maracaibo (Maracaibo)
- Martinez Apart Hotel (Caracas)
- Hotel Tamanaco InterContinental (Caracas)
- Posada del Tepuy (Mera)
Best Attractions in Venezuela
Please click the picture below for more information about the best attractions in Venezuela.
Hashtag / Keywords
What are 10 best cities in Venezuela you must visit?
The best cities that you must visit in Venezuela are Caracas, Merida, Maracaibo, Valencia, Puerto La Cruz, Mérida, Coro, Barquisimeto, Ciudad Guayana and Maracay.
What are 10 best destinations in Venezuela you must visit?
The best destinations you must visit in Venezuela are Angel Falls, Ciudad Bolivar, El Avila National Park, Los Roques National Park, The Andes Mountains, Caracas, Margarita Island, The Mochima National Park, Canaima National Park and Pico Bolivar.
What are 10 best attractions in Venezuela you must visit?
The best attractions in Venezuela you must visit are:
- Angel Falls (Salto Angel)
- Los Roques Archipelago
- Canaima National Park
- Ciudad Bolivar and El Avila National Park
- Mérida Cable Car and Sierra Nevada National Park
- Los Llanos
- Gran Sabana and Canaima Lagoon
- Margarita Island
- Los Testigos Islands