Corcovado National Park Costa Rica Osa Peninsula
Corcovado National Park is a World Heritage Site located on the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica. It is home to a stunning array of biodiversity, featuring over 140 species of mammals and birds, including the endangered squirrel monkey and harpy eagle, and a wide variety of amphibians and reptiles. With over 300 species of trees, Corcovado is a paradise for nature lovers.
Corcovado National Park Costa Rica Osa Peninsula Summary
- Attraction Name: Corcovado National Park
- Country: Costa Rica
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: San José
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Costa Rican Colón
- Nationality: Costa Rican
Corcovado National Park Costa Rica is one of the most biodiverse places on the planet and is home to thousands of species of plants, birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and fish. The park offers some of the best opportunities for wildlife viewing and rainforest exploration in Central America. Visitors can expect to have a unique experience in a primitive and wondrous environment filled with jaguars, white-faced capuchin monkeys, deer, sloths, iguanas, poison dart frogs and macaw parrots. Additionally, Corcovado National Park Costa Rica is a great spot for bird watchers and adventurers alike.
Tell Us About Corcovado National Park Costa Rica
Corcovado National Park is a must-see destination on any visit to Costa Rica. Located on the Osa Peninsula on the southwest coast of Costa Rica, it is one of the most beautiful, diverse, and well-protected wildlife areas in Central America. Corcovado National Park encompasses more than 140,000 hectares (347,000 acres) of undisturbed tropical rainforest. Here, visitors can explore four distinct ecosystems: Primary and Secondary Rainforest, Mangrove Forest, Coastal Swamps, and Marine Habitat.
The park is home to more than 500 species of animals, including endangered species such as the Baird’s Tapir, the two-toed and three-toed Sloths, the Jaguar, and the Scarlet Macaw. Corcovado also boasts more than 380 species of birds, including the Great Green Macaw and the Scarlet Macaw. Several trails offer visitors a chance to explore the area’s stunning scenery and abundant wildlife. The Sirena Ranger Station at the center of the park provides basic camping facilities and the gateway to numerous trails that lead through the park’s pristine rainforest.
Corcovado offers visitors a rare opportunity to experience the untouched natural beauty of the rainforest and discover the treasures that can be found within its boundaries.
What are the Things to do in Corcovado National Park Costa Rica?
Corcovado National Park offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Visitors can embark on exciting outdoor adventures such as hikes, kayaking, and fishing.
- Hiking is one of the most popular things to do in Corcovado National Park. The park provides nine different hiking trails for visitors to explore, ranging from easy paddle trails to more challenging jungle hikes. Hikers will be able to experience the diverse wildlife and scenery of the park as they make their way through the trails.
- Kayaking is a great way to explore the many rivers and lagoons that can be found in Corcovado National Park. Kayaking tours are available in the park, with experienced guides taking visitors through the diverse terrain of the park. Visitors can take in panoramic views of the park’s sunny beaches, tropical rainforests and diverse wildlife while in their kayaks.
- Bird-watching is another popular activity in Corcovado National Park. The park is home to some of the most stunning species of birds in Costa Rica. Visitors can observe toucans, ospreys and more as they take in the unique beauty of the park.
- Fishing is another enjoyable activity for visitors in Corcovado National Park. The park is home to some amazing fishing spots, and visitors can try their luck at catching wild trout, sailfish or kingfish. Fishing licenses are required in Corcovado National Park, so visitors must make sure to obtain one prior to any fishing excursions.
- Camping is also a popular activity at Corcovado National Park. There are several camping sites located throughout the park, providing visitors with amazing views and a great way to experience all that the park has to offer.
No matter what activities visitors choose to do in Corcovado National Park, they are sure to have an amazing experience. There is something for everyone in this unique and diverse park, and visitors can enjoy the beauty of the rainforest while taking on thrilling outdoor adventures.
What are the Best Foods at Corcovado National Park Costa Rica?
The best foods at Corcovado National Park Costa Rica are:
- Local fruits: Fruits such as pineapple, papaya, mango, banana, and watermelon can all be found in Corcovado National Park, either to purchase from the local shop or to gather from the trees.
- Local fish and seafood: The area’s rich waters provide some of the best fresh seafood in Costa Rica. Grilled fish, shrimp, octopus, and ceviche are all popular options.
- Casado: This traditional Costa Rican dish is composed of white rice, black beans, vegetables, and either fish, chicken, or pork. It’s a filling meal that’s easy to make after a day of hiking.
- Typical snacks: Queque, a sweet cake, and alfajores, a type of crunchy cookies, are popular snacks found in this region.
- Fresh juices and smoothies: Enjoy a refreshing smoothie or freshly-squeezed juice to cool you down after a hike or activity.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Corcovado National Park Costa Rica?
The best hotels to stay in Corcovado National Park Costa Rica are:
- Corcovado Adventure Tent Camp (Golfito)
- Aguila de Osa Inn & Resort (Drake Bay)
- Lapa Rios Lodge (Osa Peninsula)
- Sirena Ranger Station (Sirena)
- Rio Oro Lodge (Chacarita)
- La Leona Eco-Lodge (Manzanillo)
- Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp (Sirena)
- Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge (Puerto Jimenez)
- Corcovado National Park Cabins (Cano Island)
- Carate Lodge (Carate)
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!