Old Havana Cuba Elegant Colonial Architecture
Old Havana is a captivating place, a living museum renowned for its elegant colonial architecture, centuries-old fortifications, bustling plazas, and timeless Cuban culture. The cobblestone streets are alive with horse-drawn carriages, vintage American automobiles, and people from every corner of the world, exploring the sights and sounds of this captivating city.
Old Havana Cuba Elegant Colonial Architecture Summary
- Attraction Name: Old Havana
- Country: Cuba
- Continent: North America
- Capital Name: Havana
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Cuban Peso
- Nationality: Cuba
Old Havana Cuba is one of the most beautiful and historically significant cities in the Caribbean. It is the oldest city in Cuba and the Latin American region, and it is considered a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Old Havana is a unique mix of colonial architecture, cobblestone streets, parks and fountains, and streets lined with more than 900 historical buildings.
Visitors come to experience the charm of this vibrant and unique destination, to wander the impressive squares and fortresses, and to learn about Cuban culture and history. Whether it’s for cultural exploration, or simply to relax and take in the beauty, Old Havana is a must-visit destination.
Tell Us About Old Havana Cuba
Old Havana is a beautiful and historic district in the capital of Cuba. It was founded in 1519, making it one of the oldest cities in the Americas. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is full of stunning colonial architecture, cobblestone streets and plazas. Its unique and intricate history has been carefully preserved and its many historical and cultural sites continue to draw tourists from all over the world.
Popular attractions include the Capitolio building, the Malecon coastal promenade, the Old Town Square and the Paseo del Prado. Old Havana is considered to be the cradle of Cuban culture and is full of life, music and atmosphere.
What are the Things to do in Old Havana Cuba?
Old Havana is a city of vibrant colors, colonial architecture, and fascinating history. There is no shortage of things to do as the city is full of energy and life. Here are some of the top activities to experience when visiting this vibrant Cuban city.
- Visit Plaza Vieja: This centuries-old square is the oldest plaza in Havana and is a great place for tourists. The plaza is surrounded by several remarkable colonial-style buildings, including the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales – a building that once housed Cuba’s government leaders.
- Enjoy the Pre-Revolutionary Architecture: Havana is home to some of the world’s best-preserved Spanish colonial architecture, featuring a variety of baroque and neoclassical buildings from the 16th and 18th centuries. Take a walking tour to discover some of the city’s most impressive historic buildings, like La Catedral de San Cristobal de La Habana and Gran Teatro de La Habana.
- Go to a Baseball Game: Baseball is a huge part of Cuban culture, and watching a game at the Estadio Latinoamericano is a great way to soak up the energy and atmosphere in here.
- Explore the Capitolio Nacional: This plaza is home to the New Havana Capitol Building, which is modeled after the Capitol Building in Washington, DC. Climb to the top and admire spectacular views of the city.
- Listen to the Music: Whether you’re visiting a production at the Teatro Nacional de Cuba or taking in the street music, the city’s music scene is truly captivating.
- Take a Tour of the Rum Factory: Take a tour of Havana Club, the city’s oldest and most famous rum factory. Learn about the history of rum production in Cuba, taste the rum, and learn about the process of making it.
- Shop at a Cultural Market: The colorful Mercado de San José is a must-stop for those looking to buy unique souvenirs and handicrafts.
- Stroll Along the Malecón: Take a walk along the Malecón: The seaside promenade – to take in stunning views of the ocean and the city skyline.
- Old Havana is a city like no other, rich with culture and history and bursting with life. Allow yourself to be swept away by its captivating atmosphere as you explore all that it has to offer.
What are the Best Foods at Old Havana Cuba?
The best foods at Old Havana Cuba are:
- Ropa Vieja: Shredded beef with tomatoes, peppers, and onions
- Congri: White rice and black beans
- Bistec de Palomilla: Grilled beef steak
- Patacones: Fried green plantains
- Lechon Asado: Roasted suckling pig
- Yuca Frita: Fried cassava
- Moros y Cristianos: Black beans and white rice
- Frita Cubanas: Fried beef patties with onions and potatoes
- Croquetas: Fried meat or fish in a creamy batter
- Relleno de Camarones: Shrimp stuffed inside plantain cups
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Old Havana Cuba?
The best hotels to stay in Old Havana Cuba are:
- Hotel Saratoga
- Meliá Habana
- Gran Hotel Manzana Kempinski La Habana
- Iberostar Parque Central
- Hostal Valencia
- Hotel Ambos Mundos
- Hotel Raquel
- Las Terrazas de la Torre
- Hotel Nacional de Cuba
- Hotel Florida
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!