Sajama National Park Bolivia Volcano and Culture
Sajama National Park is Bolivia’s first and oldest national park, established in 1939. Located in the Andean Plateau, the park is home to a spectacular alpine landscape, rare wildlife, and archaeological remains of the Uru, colla and Aymará cultures. It contains diverse ecosystems, including lakes, wetlands, glaciers, and hot springs.
Sajama National Park Bolivia Volcano and Culture Summary
- Attraction: Sajama National Park Bolivia
- Country: Bolivia
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: La Paz, Sucre
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Bolivian boliviano (BOB)
- Nationality: Bolivian
Sajama National Park Bolivia is an incredible destination for adventure seekers, conservationists, and travelers looking to reconnect with nature. It is Bolivia’s largest protected area and also part of the largest high-altitude meadows in the world. Visitors can explore an array of natural wonders such as high-mountain glaciers, hot springs, and stunning views of the Andes Mountain range.
Different ecosystems within the park provide habitats for a variety of wildlife, including the critically endangered Andean fox, the mountain viscacha, and several species of parrots. Those with an interest in indigenous history will appreciate the opportunity to explore Sajama National Park Bolivia’s ancient archeological sites, which afford unique insights into the beliefs and lifestyles of the Aymara people.
Tell Us About Sajama National Park Bolivia
Sajama National Park is located in the Oruro region of southwestern Bolivia, near the Chilean border. The park is home to the towering Sajama Volcano, which stands at over 6,500 meters (21,325 feet) in altitude and is the highest volcano in Bolivia.
This extreme environment supports a variety of wildlife, including high-altitude birds, vicuñas, pumas, tapirs, and other mammals. Oasis-like lagoons are found deep in the park and hot springs occur in some areas. Ancient Inca ruins and petroglyphs can be found alongside local pre-Columbian tombs, and some Aymara communities still inhabit the area, herding llamas and keeping ancient traditions alive. Tourism activities here center on trekking, hiking, bird watching and mountaineering.
What are the Things to do in Sajama National Park Bolivia?
Sajama National Park in Bolivia is a nature lover’s paradise. Set along the lush Andes Mountains, Sajama National Park offers a variety of recreational activities like no other. From hiking and biking to bird watching and camping, this park has something for everyone. Here are just some of the activities to enjoy in Sajama National Park:
- Hiking: With its vast mountainous terrain, Sajama National Park is ideal for nature lovers and those who love exploring on foot. Adventure seekers can make their way through the remote trails and take in the many spectacular views of the park that it has to offer.
- Biking: With so much natural beauty to take in, Sajama National Park is the perfect place to go mountain biking. Bikers can traverse trails through the Andes Mountains, admiring the park’s myriad of landscapes, flora, and fauna.
- Bird Watching: For avid birdwatchers, Sajama National Park is a dream come true. As the clouds scatter over the high-altitude scenery, many species of birds can be seen soaring in the sky.
- Camping: One of the best ways to immerse yourself in the beauty of Sajama National Park is to plan a camping trip. There are several campsites located in the park where visitors can pitch their tents and spend a tranquil night under the stars.
- Birding Tours: With so many species of birds living in Sajama National Park, visitors can take advantage of birding tours offered by experienced guides. The tours offer a perfect opportunity to spot rare species of birds, providing an educational and enjoyable experience.
- Fishing: For anglers, fishing in Sajama National Park is a unique experience. The park is home to numerous species of fresh and saltwater fish, making it a great spot to go fly fishing and troll fishing.
- Wildlife Viewing: As well as birdwatching, visitors can also spot a wide variety of wildlife living in Sajama National Park. From goats and llamas to foxes and pumas, the park is home to an abundance of fauna.
There is certainly plenty to do in Sajama National Park, making it an ideal destination for any outdoor enthusiast. Whether you are looking to take in the sights or simply spend some time in nature, this park is an ideal choice.
What are the Best Foods at Sajama National Park Bolivia?
Some of the best foods at Sajama National Park Bolivia include:
- Grilled Llama: Try the grilled llama, a Bolivian dish that includes what is thought to be the best-tasting part of the llama – the tenderloin.
- Salteñas: Salteñas are pastries filled with beef or chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, and spices.
- Charque: Charque is dried llama or alpaca meat. It is usually served with potatoes and a hot chili sauce.
- Fresh Fruit: Sajama National Park offers guests the opportunity to eat fresh fruit straight from the park’s trees. Palta (Hass avocados) and wild bananas are two of the most popular varieties.
- Sweet Bread: The local bakeries churn out many different flavors of sweet bread like nutella, chocolate, and guava.
- Cheese: Cheese is another popular food choice while visiting the park. Try unique varieties, including the strong-flavored queso amarillo (yellow cheese).
- Soups: Prepare your taste buds for some delicious soups like locro de zapallo (pumpkin soup) and chairo (a spicy potato stew).
- Street Food: Street food is always a fun way to try some new dishes in Sajama National Park. Expect to find grilled meats, vegetable-based treats, fried pastries, and more.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Sajama National Park Bolivia?
The best hotels to stay in Sajama National Park Bolivia are:
- Hotel Tierra del Sol (Llallagua)
- Hotel Kallawaya Boutique (Sajama)
- Hotel Sajama Hacienda (Llallagua)
- Del Sol Sajama Hotel (Sajama)
- Hotel Cabañas de Sajama (Sajama)
- Eco-Lodge Sajama (Sajama)
- Eco Refugio Altiplano (Sajama)
- Hotel Refugio del Sol (Sajama)
- Villarica Sajama Adventure Hotel & Spa (Sajama)
- Hotel Santa Clara (Sajama)
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!