The Chitwan National Park Nepal Most Popular Places
Chitwan National Park is Nepal’s first national park and home to a variety of wildlife, including endangered species such as the one-horned rhinoceros, Bengal tiger, and gharial crocodile. The park is located in the southern region of the country and covers an area of 932 km², making it one of the most popular parks in Nepal. Its deciduous and sal forests, extensive grasslands and beautiful rivers offer many opportunities for wildlife-viewing, recreational activities, and conservation education.
The Chitwan National Park Nepal Most Popular Places Summary
- Attraction Name: The Chitwan National Park
- Country: Nepal
- Continent: Asia
- Capital Name: Kathmandu
- Language: Nepali
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee
- Nationality: Nepali
The Chitwan National Park in Nepal is one of the best protected areas in the subcontinent and a hugely popular tourist destination. It stands out as one of the best places to observe natural wildlife, offering a great opportunity to explore a unique habitat and brilliant landscape full of lush vegetation and a variety of animals. Visitors to the park can spot crocodiles, tigers, rhinos, elephants, sloth bears and a plethora of bird species.
The park is also home to some of the best trekking trails in the country and offers great opportunities for exploration and activities such as canoeing and swimming. With its stunning views, Chitwan National Park is a must-visit destination when exploring Nepal.
Tell us about The Chitwan National Park Nepal
The Chitwan National Park of Nepal is one of the most popular and well-known wildlife reserves in South Asia. It is located in the subtropical Terai lowlands of south-central Nepal and covers an area of 932.6 square kilometers. It is the first national park of Nepal and was established in 1973 and became a World Heritage Site in 1984.
The park is home to more than 36 species of mammals, 544 species of birds, and 68 species of fish. Among the mammals are tigers, leopards, wild elephants, one-horned rhinoceros, and striped hyenas. The birds include egrets, kingfishers, woodpeckers, cormorants, black storks, and ibis. The Chitwan National Park is also a refuge for endangered swamp deer, hog deer, hispid hares, and blackbucks.
The park also contains parts of the Inner Terai Valleys of Nepal. These inner valleys support lush lush tropical and subtropical vegetation and are home to endemic flora and fauna. These inner valleys form the base for a system of wetlands and water-ways, of which the first is the Rapti River.
In recent years, the park has enhanced its visitor services by creating a sustainable tourism industry and by promoting economic activities, such as eco-tourism, bird-watching and photography. This helps to offset the economic costs that local communities must pay to protect the park’s environment. Thus, The Chitwan National Park is one of the most successful conservation areas in South Asia, and one of the most visited tourist destinations in Nepal.
What are the things to do in The Chitwan National Park Nepal?
The Chitwan National Park in Nepal is the first national park of the country. It covers an area of 932 sq km and includes the Shivalik Hills, the Churia foothills, and the lowland of the inner tarai. The park offers a diversity of ecosystems which are home to several endangered species of flora and fauna. This park is regarded as one of the best places for wildlife watching in South Asia. Here are some of the things to do in The Chitwan National Park Nepal.
- Elephant rides – If you want to get close and personal with some of the park’s biggest residents then riding on an elephant is the best way to do it. This is one of the main attractions of the park. The Elephant breeding center at Sauraha offers trained elephants to take visitors on safari rides into the jungle.
- Bird watching – Chitwan National Park is a paradise for birdwatchers with more than 500 species of birds. Some of the popular ones include the Bengal florican, lesser adjutant stork, black stork, and several species of eagles.
- Canoe rides – One of the coolest ways to explore Chitwan National Park is to take a leisurely canoe ride along the Rapti and Narayani rivers. You can spot several species of aquatic birds and even the rare Gangetic dolphin in some areas.
- Tharu cultural tour – This is one of the best things to do in Chitwan. Take a tour of the nearby Tharu villages, learn about the local customs, experience the culture and way of life, and even observe the traditional dances.
- Jeep Safari – Jeep safari is one of the best ways to explore Chitwan National Park. These guided safaris provide visitors with an opportunity to explore the park, spot wildlife, and admire the breathtaking scenery.
- Camping – Camping is a great way to experience the solitude and beauty of Chitwan National Park. There are many camping sites and lodges offering excellent facilities for an overnight stay in the park.
- Village tours – Take a half-day village tour and experience the culture and way of life of the local ethnic group, the Tharu. Learn about the lifestyle, customs and beliefs of the people in these rural villages.
What are the best foods at The Chitwan National Park Nepal?
The best foods at The Chitwan National Park Nepal are:
- Gaur (Indian Bison)
- Himalayan Tahr
- Wild Boar
- Jungle Fowl
- Macaque Monkeys
- Spectacled Langurs
- Hispid Hare
- Sambar Deer
- Hog Deer
- Chital Deer
What are the best hotels to stay in The Chitwan National Park Nepal?
The best hotels to stay in The Chitwan National Park Nepal are:
- Tiger Tops Karnali Lodge
- Chitwan Jungle Lodge
- Barahi Jungle Lodge
- Hotel Barahi
- Gaida Wildlife Camp
- Camp Amazon
- Jungle Villa Resort
- Kasara Jungle Resort
- Unique Wild Resort
- Hotel Kantipur Chitwan.
What is the next tourist destination after visiting The Chitwan National Park Nepal?
The next best attractions in Nepal you must visit are:
- Mount Everest
- Kathmandu Durbar Square
- Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Pashupatinath Temple
- Rara Lake
- Mount Manaslu
- Boudhanath Stupa
- Pokhara Valley
- Langtang National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!