Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal Popular Tourist Sites
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is one of the most popular and widely visited tourist sites in Nepal. Situated in the ancient city of Bhaktapur, the square is surrounded by ancient temples and monuments, a fascinating culture and lifestyle, and breath-taking views of the Himalayan Mountains. The Durbar Square is home to the Bhaktapur Museum, the Golden Gate, the Nyatapola Temple, the Palace of 55 Windows, and many other remarkable landmarks.
Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal Popular Tourist Sites Summary
- Attraction Name: Bhaktapur Durbar Square
- Country: Nepal
- Continent: Asia
- Capital Name: Kathmandu
- Language: Nepali
- Currency: Nepalese Rupee
- Nationality: Nepali
Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal is the perfect place to experience the rich culture and history of the Kathmandu Valley. With its ancient palaces, exquisite temples and shrines, and beautiful architecture, it is one of the best places to take in the majestic views of the Himalayas and the surrounding scenery.
Visitors to the Bhaktapur Durbar Square get a peek into the bygone era with its centuries-old monuments, golden statues, and the exquisite works of art and craftsmanship. Visitors can also explore the bustle of the vibrant local markets, sample delicious traditional Newari cuisine, view the incredible pottery and wood carving craftsmanship, or even enjoy stunning views from atop the royal palace.
Tell us about Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Bhaktapur, Nepal. The complex is a conglomerate of pagoda and shikhara-style temples, as well as a royal palace—the 55-window Palace of the Malla Kings, which dates back to the 12th century.
The Bhaktapur Durbar Square is filled with intricately carved wood and stone structures, as well as many shrines, statues, and sculptures. Nearby attractions include the Golden Gate, believed to be the oldest city gate in the Kathmandu Valley, and the Nau Lakha Mandap, or Nine-Storied Temple. Other attractions include the Vatsala Durga Temple, Nyatapolo Temple, Pujari Math, and the Bhairab Temple.
What are the things to do in Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal?
Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a must-see sight for visitors to Nepal. It is one of the three royal palace squares found in the Kathmandu Valley, and it offers visitors a fascinating glimpse into the history of the region. There is much to do and explore at this impressive ancient city, from ancient temples and monuments to interactive cultural experiences.
One of the most iconic sights in Bhaktapur is the fifty-five-window palace, which is a masterpiece of wood and brick architecture. Take time to admire the intricately carved and detailed woodwork, which was added by King Yakshya Malla in the 15th century. There are also a number of Hindu temples as well as courtyards and open areas, which are a great place to explore and experience local culture.
The Nyatapola Temple is also found within the Durbar Square and is the tallest pagoda temple of Nepal. The temple has five tiers, each accompanied by its own pair of intricate wooden figurines supporting the top. On the other side of the square is Bhairavnath Temple, a massive Buddhist structure with a towering spire, four sides of stupas and statutes of various gods and goddesses.
The complex at Bhaktapur also offers visitors a chance to experience traditional Newari cultural activities. Stop by Dattatreya Square and observe Achar, an old Newari game where participants roll six dice made from small hollow clay balls. Watch the locals display their handiwork and watch puppet shows, traditional folk dances and music performances offered in the courtyards here. Alternatively, have a look around the nearby craftsmen’s alley and pick up some unique souvenirs.
At nighttime, the square lightens up with locals and visitors alike engaging in activity. Street performers, vendors and eateries line the area, offering visitors a great opportunity to witness local life and try various local delicacies. Visiting Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a fascinating experience and provides visitors with an unforgettable cultural experience.
What are the best foods at Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal?
The best foods at Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal are:
- Chhoyela (Barbequed Meat)
- Samay Baji (Rice, Lentils, Veggies and Meat)
- Sel Roti (Rice Doughnuts)
- Dahi (Yogurt)
- Aloo Tama (Potato and Bamboo Shoot Curry)
- Gundruk (Fermented Leafy Vegetables)
- Aalu (Potato Curry)
- Chatamari (Rice Crepes)
- Newari Khaja Set (Traditional Sweets and Savories)
- Momo (Steamed Dumplings)
What are the best hotels to stay in Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal?
The best hotels to stay in Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal are:
- Tamarind Tree Bhaktapur: Located at Durbar Square, Tamarind Tree is a four-star hotel offering luxurious accommodation with contemporary décor. The hotel offers several restaurants and bars, spa, yoga center, swimming pool, and an activity center.
- Dwarika’s Hotel: Dwarika’s is an old palatial hotel located in the old city of Bhaktapur. This four-star hotel was built out of traditional Kathmandu-style architecture and features modern rooms, a spa, gardens, and a library.
- Hotel Vajra: Hotel Vajra has elegantly decorated rooms overlooking Bhaktapur Durbar Square and the hills beyond. The hotel has a restaurant, a spa, and a garden scenery.
- Dwarika’s Village: Dwarika’s Village is located just outside of Bhaktapur city. This four-star hotel is set in a traditional village atmosphere, with modern rooms, a spa, a wellness centre, and a picturesque outdoor area.
- Hotel Heritage: Hotel Heritage is a five-star property located close to Bhaktapur Durbar Square. The hotel offers luxurious accommodation, an underground spa and fitness centre, a large garden, and a rooftop restaurant.
What is the next tourist destination after visitng Bhaktapur Durbar Square Nepal?
The next best attractions in Nepal you must visit after Bhaktapur Durbar Square are:
- Mount Everest
- Kathmandu Durbar Square
- The Chitwan National Park
- Pashupatinath Temple
- Rara Lake
- Mount Manaslu
- Boudhanath Stupa
- Pokhara Valley
- Langtang National Park
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!