Etosha National Park Namibia Top Wildlife Reserves
Etosha National Park is one of Africa’s top wildlife reserves, located in the north-western corner of Namibia. It is home to vast numbers of game, including the endangered black rhinoceros, as well as lion, elephant, cheetah, gemsbok, springbok, kudu, and more. It’s also known for its awe-inspiring birdlife, with over 340 species having been recorded. Many visitors come year-round to explore the park’s savannah plains, crystal-clear mineral pans, and unique salt desert.
Etosha National Park Namibia Top Wildlife Reserves Summary
- Attraction Name: Etosha National Park
- Country: Namibia
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Windhoek
- Language: English
- Currency: Namibia dollar (symbol: N$; code: NAD)
- Nationality: Namibian
Etosha National Park is one of the most impressive wildlife parks in Namibia, and it is a must-visit destination for animal lovers and nature enthusiasts. This is home to a wide array of wildlife, landscape and vegetation, with vast open plains, majestic mountains, salt pans and woodlands. You can spot African elephants, lions, giraffes, rhinos, antelopes, cheetahs and many other animals, while the birdlife is particularly spectacular with more than 300 species having been spotted.
It is also one of the best places in Africa to witness the renowned red-orange Namibian sunsets. This national park in Namibia is a stunning destination that offers a unique, unforgettable African safari experience.
Tell us about Etosha National Park Namibia
Etosha National Park is a national park located in the Kunene region of northern Namibia. It covers an area of 22,270 km2 (8,600 mi2) and is home to a variety of species such as lion, leopard, elephant, black rhino and cheetah. Visitors to the park can expect to see a variety of bird species, as well as antelope, zebra and a number of other large game.
The park is also home to numerous smaller animals such as jackals, bat–eared foxes and warthogs. Etosha National Park is a major draw for tourists visiting Namibia and the surrounding area. There are a variety of accommodations for visitors of all budgets, from campsites to private lodges. Activities within the park include game drives, 4x4 trails and guided walks. The park also offers visitors the chance to participate in endangered species conservation efforts.
What are the things to do in Etosha National Park Namibia?
Etosha National Park is one of the largest nature reserves in Namibia. It sprawls across an area of over 8,600 km2 and is home to some of Africa’s most breathtaking wildlife. It is an absolute must-visit for anyone looking to get an authentic safari experience. Here are a few of the perhaps best things to do while in Etosha National Park:
- Wildlife spotting: Etosha is home to numerous species of herbivorous and carnivorous animals including lions, elephants, giraffes, hyenas and cheetahs, as well as rare antelopes such as the rare black-backed jackal. A game drive will give you the opportunity to catch a glimpse of these majestic creatures in their natural habitat. Specialist guided drives and photographic safaris are available for more serious wildlife enthusiasts.
- The Etosha Pan: The pan is actually a massive dry lakebed that stretches from the westernmost to the southernmost regions of the park. It is a popular destination due to the abundant birdlife and its surreal salt-encrusted landscape that stretches out for miles and miles.
- Visiting the famous waterholes: This park packs an abundance of viewing points along its roads and four main entrances. The waterholes attract large herds of wildlife, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Camping in the park: For those looking to get really close to nature, camping in Etosha National Park is a spectacular experience. The park offers two types of camping options: in a designated campsite or going for an adventurous wild camping expedition. Get up close with the animals and enjoy the picturesque views of Etosha National Park.
- Visit a local community: Etosha National Park has a special attraction for tourists, who wish to get an insight into the culture and lifestyles of the local Himba and Ovahimba tribes. A visit to one of the Himba villages, and discovering their daily life, customs and handicrafts, will be an unforgettable experience.
Whether it be game drives, birdwatching, camping, interacting with the local tribes or just appreciating the magnificent landscape of the park, there are plenty of activities to choose from during a visit to Etosha National Park. With its abundance of wildlife, activities, and breathtaking views, it is the quintessential safari experience in the heart of beautiful Namibia.
What are the best foods at Etosha National Park Namibia?
The best delicious foods to try at Etosha National Park are:
- Mopane Worms
- Pudu Stew
- Ostrich Meat
- Smoked Kudu
- Warthog Sausage
- Elephant Stew
- Wildebeest Patties
- Crocodile Steaks
- Roasted Gemsbok
- Sweetbush Tea
What are the best hotels to stay in Etosha National Park Namibia?
The best hotels to stay in Etosha National Park Namibia are:
- Onguma Tree Top Camp
- Andersson’s Camp
- The Potter’s Place
- Etosha Village
- Okaukuejo Camp
- Mushara Bush Camp
- Namutoni Camp
- Halali Camp
- Dolomite Camp
What is the next tourist destination?
The next best attractions in Namibia you must visit are:
- Etosha National Park
- Fish River Canyon
- Skeleton Coast
- Caprivi Strip
- Twyfelfontein Rock Art Sites
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!