Inca Trail Peru
The Inca Trail is an incredibly popular 4-day trek through some of Peru’s most spectacular scenery, culminating in the famous Machu Picchu. Winding through misty cloud forests, descending into sub-tropical jungles, and passing stunning Incan ruins, the Inca Trail is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that should not be missed.
Inca Trail Peru Summary
- Attraction: Inca Trail Peru
- Country: Peru
- Continent: South America
- Capital Name: Lima
- Language: Spanish (official), English
- Currency: The Sol
- Nationality: Peruvian
The Inca Trail Peru is one of the most iconic and historic trails in the world. Whilst trekking the Inca Trail, visitors can explore the remnants of the powerful Incan civilization and have a glimpse into the ancient spiritual and cultural way of life. Take a journey along the trail and visit some of the most spectacular sites and ruins that have been left behind, such as Machu Picchu.
Experience the stunning beauty of the Andes Mountains and the mystical cloud forests that provide a remarkable landscape for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The Inca Trail gives hikers the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the sights, sounds, and smells of Peru, making it truly a remarkable journey.
Tell Us About Inca Trail Peru
The Inca Trail is an ancient walking route in Peru that leads to the famed 15th century Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. The Inca Trail is an amazing way to experience the diverse natural beauty and historical treasures of Peru as you journey through two different types of Andean environments: the highland puna, with its snow-covered mountains, and the cloud forest, with its rich wildlife and mysterious ruins.
While trekking along the trail, you will encounter impressive Inca ruins and incredible views of the surrounding area. Along the way, you will stay in small lodges in unique villages, sharing in the local customs and traditions of the Quechua people. As you complete this 4-day trek, you will end in awe at the majesty of Machu Picchu, one of the world’s great architectural and natural wonders.
What are the Things to do in Inca Trail Peru?
Things to do in Inca Trail Peru are:
- Traverse the Sacred Valley of the Incas: The Inca Trail embraces some of the most stunning landscapes and archaeological remains in Peru, from the enigmatic ruins of Chinchero to the much-photographed Inca citadel at Machu Picchu. Many of the more accessible ruins are tucked away in the deep cool valleys of the Sacred Valley of the Incas, and there are plenty of Inca ruins and temples that you can explore along the trail.
- Climb to Grande Punku: Another highlight of the Inca Trail is the amazing Grand Punku–the largest Incan ruin in Peru. A mysterious set of granite and schist blocks, which is believed to have been a spiritual center or an agricultural center. As the sun sets over the valley and the surrounding peaks, the site is one of the most breathtaking sights on the trail.
- Enjoy the Views: The Inca Trail offers spectacular views of the Andes mountains and of the various ranges. Look out for snow-capped peaks, lush forests, waterfalls, and deep canyons. From the top of Dead Woman’s Pass, you may be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the bustling Inca ruins of Machu Picchu in the distance.
- Follow the Ancient Paths: Walk in the footsteps of the Incas and follow the ancient Inca pathway for days full of beautiful scenery, hard trekking, and marvel at the incredible mountain views. Take part in the fascinating archaeological exploration of Aguas Calientes and Huayna Picchu, two of the most important and notable Inca sites on the trail.
- Visit the Natural Bridges: While on the trail, you will be traversing the spectacular natural stone bridges, bringing you closer to nature. The Incas carved these bridges out of the mountain rocks hundreds of years ago in order to make the route easier and more bearable.
- Savor the Local Food and Drink: As you walk along the Inca Trail, make sure to take advantage of the various local snacks, drinks, and wines that are available to try. Sample traditional Andean cuisine such as Chuño, a freeze-dried potato, and enjoy a Pisco Sour or a glass of red or white wine while taking in the magnificent views.
- Experience the Trading Centers: While on the trail, you will travel by ancient trading centers such as Pisaq, Cusco, and Ollantaytambo. Here you can buy traditional local handicrafts and other souvenirs, as well as get a sense of traditional Inca life.
- Take a Dip in the Hot Springs: Nothing says relaxing after a day of trekking more than taking a dip in the naturally hot springs of Chaullay in the Santa Teresa Valley. The thermal pools are located in the middle of a lush green valley and offer the perfect way to revitalize your energy before the next day’s trek.
What are the Best Foods at Inca Trail Peru?
Some of the best foods at Inca Trail Peru include:
- Popcorn: Popcorn is a delicious snack to munch on along the Inca Trail in Peru.
- Cheese Empanadas: Empanadas are fried or baked pastries filled with cheese, onions, and spices. A delicious and portable snack!
- Fried Plantains: Fried plantains are a delicious way to enjoy the local produce of Peru. Serve with a pat of butter and a side of lime.
- Grilled Trout: Trout fishing is popular along the Inca Trail and you can enjoy having a freshly grilled fish with lime and chili.
- Lomo Saltado: This Peruvian beef stir-fry is a classic dish found in Peru. Perfect for a high-energy meal on the trail.
- Chicha Morada: Chicha Morada is a traditional Peruvian drink made with purple corn. It is sweet and refreshing, perfect for a hot day on the Inca Trail.
- Alpaca Burgers: Alpaca burgers are made with ground alpaca meat and seasoned with traditional spices. They are great for a mid-day hike snack.
What are the Best Hotels to Stay in Inca Trail Peru?
The best hotels to stay in Inca Trail Peru are:
- The Royal Inka Trail Hotel & Spa, Cusco
- Hotel El Chalet, Machu Picchu
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, Machu Picchu
- El Albergue Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu
- Inkasaya Machu Picchu Lodge & Spa, Machu Picchu
- Eco Quechua Usalmapu Hotel & Suites, Ollantaytambo
- Totoradas Camping Cusco, Cusco
- Salkantay Trek Machu Picchu, Umantay
- Machu Picchu Lodge, Machu Picchu
- Machu Picchu Bed & Breakfast, Machu Picchu
What is the Next Tourist Destination?
Cusco is one of the most interesting places to visit in Peru. Scroll down and click the button for more information.