Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana Beautiful Lake Tadane
Nzulezo is a centuries-old stilt village in Ghana, situated on the beautiful Lake Tadane. Craftsmen build their homes with local materials such as bamboo, mud, and wood, and the village is only accessible via a canoe. Nzulezo is home to the Nzema people, who have lived there for generations, living off the land and Lake Tadane’s plentiful fish resources.
Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana Beautiful Lake Tadane Summary
- Attraction Name: Nzulezo Stilt Village
- Country: Ghana
- Continent: African
- Capital Name: Accra
- Language: English
- Currency: Ghanaian Cedi
- Nationality: Ghanaian
Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana is a unique and fascinating destination in the country of Ghana. This centuries-old settlement is a must-see for travelers who are looking for a unique experience and interested in learning about traditional cultures. The stilt village is a living museum, a reminder of a time when homes were built over water to escape unrest and persecution. Visitors may take guided tours of the village, learn about its history, and witness traditional day-to-day activities of its inhabitants.
Nzulezo is a great place for nature lovers, photographers, history buffs, and anthropologists. It is a great way to gain insight into the culture and beliefs of a very ancient community.
Tell us about Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana
Nzulezo is an ancient stilt village located near Beyin in the Jomoro district of the Western Region of Ghana. It is surrounded by a lake and composed of wooden stilt houses and boardwalks. It is believed to have been established by the Nzema people about 500-600 years ago. It is home to about 300 permanent residents and some have small businesses or a small fishing industry to support the community. It is accessible by boat and car and a popular destination for tourists.
The Nzulezo Stilt Village is largely self-sufficient, relying on the lake and surrounding land for food, water, and electricity. The village has maintained its traditional culture and lifestyle and is a great example of Ghanaian ingenuity.
What are the things to do in Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana?
Nzulezo Stilt Village is a man-made stilt village located in the Jomoro district of the Western Region of Ghana. This village is considered to be one of the few man-made villages in the world and is a unique reminder of the history of Ghana.
This place offers a range of activities for tourists and locals alike. Here are some of the exciting things to do in Nzulezo Stilt Village:
- Tour the village: Taking a tour of the village is the best way to learn about the history and culture of the Nzulezo people. Professional tour guides take guests around the village, offering interesting facts about the village and its people.
- Try the local cuisine: Exploring the local cuisine is another great way to experience the culture of the Nzulezo people. The cuisine revolves around fish, as Nzulezo Stilt Village is situated on a lake. Freshly caught fish features prominently in the cuisine. Traditional dishes include okro stew and banku made with fermented corn dough.
- Participate in traditional dances: Seeing people perform traditional dances is one of the most unforgettable experiences in Nzulezo Stilt Village. From the guguba (dance with drums) to the Borborbor (dance with hand claps), these dances are full of energy and enthusiasm.
- Buy souvenirs: Shopping for souvenirs is a great way to remember the experience of visiting Nzulezo Stilt Village. You can buy a range of traditional crafts, such as wooden carvings, musical instruments, and jewelry.
- Explore the lake: Exploring the lake is one of the most popular activities in Nzulezo Stilt Village. It is possible to take a canoe out on the lake and enjoy views of the village from the water. There are also lots of birds to spot, as the lake is a habitat for many species of birds.
Nzulezo Stilt Village offers an abundance of activities to explore, making it a great destination for anyone looking to experience unique cultural attractions. From participating in traditional dances to exploring the lake to buying souvenirs, there are plenty of things to do in this amazing village.
What are the best foods at Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana?
The best foods to try at Nzulezo Stilt Village are:
- Fufu and Okro: This traditional Ghanaian delicacy is a must-try at Nzulezo Stilt Village. Made with ground cassava and mashed up okra, it’s served with a variety of soups, stews and sauces that vary depending on the area.
- Grilled Fish: Freshly caught fish is a staple around the village, and enjoying a big portion of freshly grilled fish is one of the best things to try at Nzulezo Stilt Village. Enjoy with a side of plantains and some spicy sardine sauce.
- Cassava Fritters: Fried cassava root is the traditional go-to snack. It’s usually served with some form of sauce, from sweet to savory, whatever suits your fancy. Perfect for any time of the day.
- Kenkey: Corn-based dough boiled in a banana leaf for hours, this is a tasty snack or light meal. A typical accompaniment is stewed fish or pork, and if you’re brave, some spicy sardine sauce.
- Boiled Yam: A celebrated staple in Ghana, boiled yam is delicious and filling. Enjoying it alongside some vegetables or fish is a great way to get all the essential nutrients you need while exploring the stilt village.
What are the best hotels to stay in Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana?
The best hotels to stay in Nzulezo Stilt Village are:
- Jet-Lag Lodge
- Nature’s Fisherman Lodge
- Northlands Resort
- Eco-Rova Caravan Park
- Fortress Resort
- Aqua Vista Resort
- Eagleview Guest House
- Perky Palm Beach Resort
- Adepala Hotel
- Akpeteshie Lodge
What is the next tourist destination after you visit Nzulezo Stilt Village Ghana Beautiful Lake Tadane?
The best attractions in Ghana you must visit are:
- Wli Waterfalls
- Kakum National Park
- Cape Coast Castle
- Busua Beach
- Mole National Park
- Shai Hills Resource Reserve
- Elmina Castle
- Lake Bosomtwe
- Larabanga Mosque
We’d love for you to stay awhile and explore all of the wonderful features we have to offer by clicking the button below to start your journey!